Note: From Nursing Students to Patients

Note: From Nursing Students to Patients

We have all had those patients who doubt our worth.

30
Note: From Nursing Students to Patients
Health care and time

Dear Patient,

Yes, I am just a Student Nurse. However, I have been learning for two full years. When I say two full years, I mean the sun rose, set, and all I did was study to learn to take care of you one day. When you say things like “Is this your first time? Oh my God, I want an experienced nurse.” It hurts. For I have spent countless nights with little to no sleep, passed up many opportunities to have a normal life, and had many hours with my face in a book to provide the best care for you. Along with that, I have done phenomenal in test situations and clinical settings. I am well rounded in not only knowledge, but I genuinely care about people. However, you wouldn’t know because you’re only concerned about what’s after my name and it isn’t RN yet. So, to you that means I don’t know anything?

I do know things.

It may be my first time performing a skill on you, but how do you expect me to become better by practicing on dummies? I promise that I have practiced every skill at least once and I have watched many videos to make sure I had knowledge about what I am about to perform. I follow every new policy and know it in and out for your safety. Some who are “experienced nurses” don’t even know or practice the policy that is supposed to be followed. Sadly, it becomes more about what’s fastest and easiest. This can lead to infection, improper medication administration, and many other problems.

I am not saying Student Nurses are better or have more knowledge, but we fight every day to be able to take care of someone like you. We fight through hard exams, tough clinicals, and proving ourselves to instructors. Therefore, to have a patient who audibly doubts my ability is crushing. Especially after all of the ups and downs I’ve gone through to get here.

If you’re “that patient” I want you to remember something, everyone has to start somewhere. That goes for Physician’s Assistants, Doctors, and even those in Phlebotomy. The thing is everyone needs health professionals so why be so ignorant when one is doing all they can to be the best and take care of not only you, but everyone? Experience is what makes and breaks everyone in this field. We all need it.

Honestly, we will make mistakes just like you, every day, however we work VERY hard to be in the positions that we are. We work to make a difference and to be there for you. Be there for us..

From,

Every Denied Student