Not My Strength

Not My Strength

“..I will strengthen you and help you..” Isaiah 41:10

28
Not My Strength
Annabelle Breakey Photography

So often we, as humans, tend to try to rely on our own strength. And even though it never works, we keep doing it. Humans are so stubborn and we forget that things cannot be fixed through our own efforts.

Especially when things seem to be going wrong or God doesn’t seem to be doing what we want Him to be doing, we forget that He is ultimately in control and no matter how hard we try, we will not be able to fix things.

I like to imagine that God is sitting up in heaven just shaking His head as we earnestly run in circles trying to do everything we can to make our lives turn out how we want them to. He wants us to realize that through it all we need to rely on His strength and not our own.

The other night I was reading the Jesus Calling devotional book, (I highly recommend buying this, if you don’t already have it. It is amazing) and it was a good reminder that God want us to rely on Him.

Here is the devotion for May 25:

“The world is too much with you, My child. Your mind leaps from problem to problem to problem, tangling your thoughts in anxious knots. When you think like that, you leave Me out of your world-view and your mind becomes darkened. Though I yearn to help, I will not violate your freedom. I stand silently in the background of your mind, waiting for you to remember that I am with you.

When you turn from your problems to My Presence, your load is immediately lighter. Circumstances may not have changed, but we carry your burdens together. Your compulsion to “fix” everything gives way to deep, satisfying connection with Me. Together we can handle whatever this day brings.

Isaiah 41:10; Zephaniah 3:17; Psalm 34:19”

This was incredibly encouraging to me, but also served as a strong slap-in-the-face reminder. God wants to provide us with the strength we need, but He’s not just going always hand it right over when we don’t ask for it. He wants us to realize how badly we need Him. He wants us to realize how much better our lives would be with Him supporting us through it all. He needs us to realize how much happier, less stressed, and less anxious we would be if we relied on His strength instead of our own, human strength.

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

Jeremiah 33:3

I’ve talked about it in past articles, and I cannot stress it enough-bring it all to Him. He will not always just fix everything immediately, but with His comfort, strength, and love, He will help and encourage you through it.

As a person that is strong and independent, this is often really hard for me. I like to quickly fix things and not ask others for help. I do not like to rely on others. I’ve had to sit and really make it a point to rely on God’s strength, and normally it’s after I’ve already tried to rely on my own. Saying, “oh hey, I don’t need to worry about this-God’s got it!” is not my first thought. It’s hard to give all of our cares, situations, and worries to God. It’s reallllllyyyyy hard. But not only will it make it easier on us, it glorifies Him. He created us and therefore, He can easily take those weights off of our shoulders and guide us through the hard times.

Rely on Him and His strength through it all.