We Need To Communicate Better

In A World Of Mass Communication, There's Not Enough Conversation

Miscommunication? I don't associate with her.

50

The internet is everywhere. Chances are that if you're around my age, the internet has been present throughout your entire life. Sure, maybe it wasn't as relevant in your life 10+ years ago, but the rise of social media allows the world and its thoughts to literally be right at our fingertips.

There are countless ways to talk to someone. Whether it be in text, emails, social media DMs, messaging apps, in person, or via carrier pigeons, surely we would know how to talk to each other by now.

I'm not trying to sound like a bitter technology-hater; modern technology drives our society and has given us great things like vaccines, industry improvements, and pictures of cute cats. One of the main problems I believe to exist when it comes to communication is a lack of listening and healthy confrontation.

For example, if you're in an argument with someone, you shouldn't jump at them with a bunch of "you did this" or "you said that" because that will likely just make the other person more defensive. It's better to keep a level head and phrase your thoughts with things like "I feel this" and "this is how I interpreted that thing even if it wasn't your intention for it to have that connotation."

The same thing goes for debates with random people online. You can't expect to act all high and mighty with your side and be able to successfully convince the other party; again, they're just going to get defensive. You should strive to acknowledge what the other person said and take into account that not everyone has the same thoughts as you (unless their ideology is harmful to themselves/others or can literally be disproven with hard facts).

Lastly, while you shouldn't go around picking fights or starting debates with people just because you want to argue, it's not exactly the best idea to avoid confrontation altogether either. I absolutely hate confrontation and try to avoid it at all costs, but sometimes it's necessary to clear up miscommunication or give answers to one's questions.

At the end of the day, we're all people. Shouldn't we start treating each other as such by having a simple conversation?