Sometimes The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year Isn't Wonderful, But That Doesn't Mean It Has To Be Hard
Seasonal

This is supposed to be the happiest time of they year, make sure to create that happiness

234
Arun Kuchibhotla

With December now upon us, I think it is incredibly important to be more aware of our surroundings and of what others are going through. Holidays can be the happiest time of year but also the most stressful time of the year, and understandably so. I think there is so much pressure around the holidays because Hallmark paints this beautiful picture of what it should look like. The truth is, that's wildly unrealistic or attainable. There is an unbelievable amount of stress put on people to buy lavish gifts for every person in their life, have the prettiest tree, decorate the inside and outside of their homes, and provide a spread of food for their family and/or friends. It's no wonder that so many people are anxious and constantly running around during the time leading up to the holidays. The holidays are really just all about love. I'm not talking the love in the corny, romantic Christmas movies that play nonstop this time of year, I'm talking genuine, selfless love.

It can be a very hard time of year for many people. The loss of a family member, the loss of a friend, divorces, financial struggles, broken families, traumatic memories: so much can affect someone the most this time of year. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that love is honestly and simply the most important thing to give, this time of year especially. Whether that be to your friends, family or complete strangers in the stores or coffee lines as we run around. Don't forget that everyone is walking their own path of life and that their holiday may look drastically different from yours.

Personally, my holidays look drastically different as the years have passed. It's not at all a bad thing, just a difference and an adjustment I've had to make. My family is now split up and in our own separate houses ranging from 5 minutes away, to 18 hours away. I work a job that requires me to be there on holidays, and I'm stuck in a financial place at my age where I'm able to give gifts to everyone I love but they never seem to be quite nice enough to what I think they deserve and what I wish I could provide for them. I used to miss how holidays used to be spent or how they felt, but I realized it's all in my mindset. I now strive to always find peace and happiness in the little things. I always decorate my home early to put me in a happier mood, I budget better to buy a few things at a time instead of rushing and panicking last minute, I make sure that family members that don't live down the street anymore will get their packages on time, and I make sure that those around me will feel my love and appreciation for them.

I am so lucky to have incredible friends that have become my family, including on holidays. I know that a lot of them also struggle with holidays for various reasons so we make sure to always be there and offer our love and support for each other. There are plenty of fun little things you can do leading up to the holidays that will bring you so much cheer. You truly never know how hard things can be in December for people.

At coffee shops, don't just rush through the line waiting to get more caffeine to fuel you through the overtime you may have picked up for extra money, or get you through the endless shopping list you're working on. Stop, smile, and ask someone how their day was. Thank your barista for your coffee (especially if it's on the holiday itself). While you're stuck in rush hour traffic, or snow, look around you and remember how lucky you are to have somewhere warm to go to.

Far too often we get wrapped up in what holidays should be, that we forget to create and love the holiday we have the capability of. Small, sentimental gifts go a long way. It's not what you spend, it's truly the meaning behind the gift. There are so many people who don't get to spend the holiday with family, so be kind to strangers you see out. If you know friends might be struggling with family issues or mental or emotional issues more so this time of year, reach out more than you normally would, invite them to your family's house or create a friends-holiday. Pay it forward to strangers in little ways to make their day. This year, try to create your holiday magic. You are not alone.