Normal

Being Normal Is Overrated

What even is normal?

93
Being Normal Is Overrated
Taylor Cust

Normal

adjective

nor-mal

1.conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected

noun

1.the usual, average, or typical state or condition.

There it is...the dictionary definition of the word "normal", bland and boring huh? Very much like how the "act" of being normal is. Why does everyone strive to be normal? Why is it this all mighty thing that we all want to be? Why are we judged so strongly on our normality's? Who one day decided that this or that was normal and we all just said ok and went along with it no questions asked? Why then did we become so insistent on being normal?

Normal in my opinion is subjective.

What is normal for me may not be normal for the girl next to me or Sammy across the street. We as a society try so hard to fit into a schema or lifestyle that someone literally made up. The world that we aspire to live in is based on the opinions of other people. With words and phrases like "goals" and "must be nice," we are constantly trying to fit into what social media and society deem right or normal. Everyone wants to be this one way so that people approve of them or the things they do. They want to be the ones that people say "goals" or "must be nice" to.

But what I feel like everyone often times fails to realize is that everyone's "goals" are different.

Mickey may not want the same relationship as Johnny, and Lacey may not want the same stuff that Avery has. Being different has become so taboo, it's no longer a genuine trait. That description, for lack of a better word, is now so overused that its true meaning has now become lost in a sea of wannabes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being the oddball of the group and yet people are often shunned for it. Normal is just so, como se dice…DULL!

For whatever reason, everyone wants to run so far away from being anything but what everyone else around them is. Slowly but surely, we are becoming these zombies just roaming around doing all the same things all the time and just falling into these habits and patterns of all the same things. I mean think about it, everything we do is to be posted on Instagram, Snapchat, or Twitter to get reactions out of people. We all do it and we do it so much that it actually has become normal. That is probably the only thing that we can all say has become indefinitely normal. Other than that, there's not much else we can say is "normal".

People grow and change, and everyone learns and likes different things. We suppress all of that just so that we fit in, and I just really really don't understand why. If you want to be the only girl in a group of all guys, do it! If you want to be single so you can live your best life and do whatever you want with whoever you want then do that! If you decide that you just want to cuddle up and stay inside all day long then do that! Whatever makes you happy is what you should do. Don't let others try to change you or force you to conform so that you can be just another social media post or trend. If that's not what you want than say so, speak up, be who you are and be happy with that.

Normal is overrated.