New Year's Resolution: Happier Internet Experience

As involved as the internet is with our lives, a lot can be done to make it more positive.

49
E-telligent Internet Marketing

1. Get an adblocker.

Get AdBlockPlus for your browser, and block out any kind of annoyance. Annoying advertisements, pop-ups, YouTube comments, almost anything that could kill your vibe.

2. Remove your device's bloatware.

Bloatware is anything on your device that is useless or is seldom used. Apps, games, media, data caches, web cookies, useless pre-installed files. Just get rid of such things regularly, ideally on a monthly schedule. Device function will be faster, you'll be able to run more programmes simultaneously, and lag frustration will fade, if not disappear altogether.

3. Replace inspirational quotes with inspirational stories.

Follow stories that show just how far science and society are coming. TED is one such platform, showing the things people are doing and giving you ideas on what you can do to improve your life and that of those around you.

4. Unfollow toxic people.

If a person does not better you in some way, inspire you to improve yourself, does not contribute to your mental health, and/or does nothing but bring up negativity, remove them from your news feeds. There are a lot of awesome people who love you and support you. Keep them in your news feed instead.

5. When the flame wars begin, mute notifications.

You don't need that stress in your life. Debt is at an all-time high, the world is at war with itself, people have to work around the clock to just stay financially afloat, and you probably are involved in some type of emotionally demanding relationship. Don't waste your time trying to change someone who won't listen to you and instead just causes you more pain.

6. Get an ethernet cable.

Slow internet is a pain, especially at a university or workplace. Ethernet cables allow for a stronger connection to the Wi-Fi signal. Considering how much faster tasks can be completed thanks to an ethernet cable, it's a worthy investment.

7. Close anything you're not using.

Clutter is chaos, and chaos is confusion. You don't need three apps and fourteen tabs open at once. Bookmark, save, whatever. Then close everything you aren't using. Both you and your device will function faster.

8. Don't read the comments.

This is probably the hardest of all. The amount of trash you can find in comments on any platform is insane. So unless the item was posted by a person or organisation very close to you, don't bother. If it's too hard, you can always use an adblocker to help.

9. Keep things up to date.

Updates don't just mean extra features. They also mean debugging, malware removal, and elimination of obsolete material, to name a few. Update pop-ups are annoying, but they're often crucial to ensure the optimal function of your device.

In the end:

The internet has a huge influence on our daily lives. Make it the best experience possible.

Happy Surfing, and Happy New Year!