October 19 Is National Period Day
Currently

October 19 Is National Period Day, But Barely Anybody Noticed

October 19, 2019 is the first National Period Day. Why aren't we talking about this?

53

October 19, 2019, is the first National Period Day.

I see the hashtag trending on my Twitter feed, but I did not know that this was a thing until five minutes ago. I feel so proud that this is now among the list of national days, but honestly, I don't see enough buzz about it. According to InStyle, there are events and activities being held for this across the United States.

So my question is: why isn't this topic being talked about IRL?

I saw on Twitter a post that rung really true, and I think it is important to keep in mind, not all women HAVE periods, but it is important to remember that having a period isn't what makes you a woman. The fact that you want to be part of the womanhood, and are proud to be one is what makes you one. Anyone can be who they want to be. Instead of turning this new nationally recognized day — for however long it lasts — into an excuse to comment negative, transphobic, or sexist things on the internet, we should celebrate womanhood together, and focus on making this a positive movement.

National Period Day has the goal of eliminating the "tampon tax" and making feminine products available to EVERYONE that needs them. This is what we should focus on. Period.org states that there are currently 35 states that have a sales tax on products such as tampons and maxi pads. Women should not have to choose between buying feminine products or items like food and water. Both categories are necessary to living a comfortable life, which is right everyone should have. One of four women not being able to have access to these products is unacceptable.

With all of this being said, it has made me realize how fortunate I am to have access and the monetary materials I need to be able to get feminine products when I need them. I hope that this new national day, in our country and globally, brings more awareness to this problem, and has a positive effect toward ending the poverty of feminine products. Ladies, be proud of who you are and celebrate National Period Day. I promise it's your right.