National Parks Do Close

National Parks Do Close

15
National Parks Do Close
flickr

In 2015, there was a lunar eclipse that a lot of people have wanted to see. One day, a group of my friends and I decided that it would be a fun idea to head to High Rock, Maryland where there is an amazing view of the city by standing on this rock. Going that high up, you are also able to see the moon very clear.

We picked that Sunday night to go. The weather was perfect. There was a slight breeze but it was cool outside.

The drive to Maryland took a while and we made a pit stop at a plaza so we could look for Halloween costumes. We didn't get a chance to buy anything. We got to the park around nine, just in time to see the eclipse.

The view from the high rock was one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. The rock is something I highly recommend if you love seeing city lights and the sunset. Take it from a person who is terrified of heights. Just sit down and enjoy the beautiful view like I did.

While sitting on the rock, I happened to notice the people that were there were starting to leave. I did not think anything of it until I noticed that the rest of the people who were also on the rock left. There were also two cops who tried to tell my friends and I something, but we could not understand. I asked them to repeat themselves but they left as soon as I asked the question.

I started to get an eerie feeling especially since it was almost pitch black dark and felt my anxiety starting to set in. I freaked out and I had fears that we could possibly be locked in the park.

My fears were correct, which is the frightening thing. We were locked in the park so my former roommate called 911 for help. Should I also mention that the cell phone reception was minimal? My old roommate's phone carrier alerted her brother and mother that she dialed 911. From there, they called my mother and told her about what happened. My mother called me and gave me an earful!

Long story short, the police officers who were originally at the park when my friends and I first got there were the ones who came back to rescue us. We made it back to campus around one in the morning.

Being stuck in the park was very frightening, and it also taught me a very valuable lesson. That lesson was, national parks do close. Even when the park website says that the park stays open 24/7, there is still that chance that the park will close.

I have not been to High Rock since that day, but if I do ever decide to go back, I will remeber that the park closes at nine.