The National Anthem: All Must Stand to Show Respect

What it really means when people don't stand for the national anthem.

506
Jamie Sabau/Getty Images

Megan Rapinoe, starting midfielder for the USA National Women's Soccer Team, was recently seen kneeling during the playing of The Star Spangled Banner before games. She claimed that her reason for not standing during the national anthem was to protest LGBTQ+ rights. Following this incident, the US Soccer Board of Directors passed a rule requiring that all US Team soccer players must stand during the playing of the national anthem. Earlier in 2016, professional NFL player, Colin Kaepernick, also drew attention of the social media when he would sit during the national anthem before games. Kaepernick claimed that his reason for sitting during the playing of The Star Spangled Banner was to protest rights of people of color.

Was this the proper way to get the attention of people to voice their concerns?

I think absolutely not! I understand fighting for what you believe in but this was not the right way to do it. As a proud American I personally feel their action was rude and insulting to the people who gave them the freedom to even do something like this. The national anthem isn't a salute to America or the government, it's a salute to all the people in the armed forces and veterans who have risked their lives for the freedom of our country. By kneeling, you're telling our soldiers overseas that you don't respect them and everything they are doing for you.

Now, I 100% support people who have an opinion and who want to share their opinion but I just want it to be in the right way. If it's the government you have a problem with, go protest (non-violent) in front of the White House or something like that. Fight like heck for what you believe in and don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.

Before people tell me that I don't support LGBTQ+ rights or Black Lives Matter, I want it to be understood that I completely support both groups and believe that every person no matter what race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. deserves all the same freedoms and rights when they live in the United States of America. All I'm trying to say is that not standing and acknowledging our armed forces is not the correct way to protest. It's important that people fight for the rights that they deserve, but doing it in a proper and respectful way is just as equally as important.