My Thoughts On Shea Moisture's Break The Walls Campaign

247
123rf.com

SheaMoisture provides organic and natural beauty products popular in the African American community. Shea Moisture has started a “Break the Walls” campaign dedicated to integrating African American beauty products into the beauty aisle. Instead of having black hair products in the beauty aisle, there is a designated section labeled ethnic or multicultural. SheaMoisture is fighting for the right for black beauty products to be included with the rest.

I have to disagree with the campaign. I love that Shea Moisture is taking a stand and fighting for what they believe in, but all hair is not created equal and there are specific products designed to help maintain African American hair.

This hair texture chart shows the different categories hair falls into. The majority of hair products available accommodates hair categories one to three, while African Americans' hair texture usually falls in the fourth category. I love having a section of the store designated to my specific hair needs. It makes shopping for hair products easier and faster. You don't have to go through the trouble of looking through unnecessary products, wondering if it will do your hair justice. I think of it the same as when I am shopping for food. In order to have a quick shopping experience, food is separated into different aisles in different categories based on what they are.

However, the ethnic "aisle" is too small. The beauty aisle is filled with products for types one to three hair but there is only a small corner for type four hair. There are limited options for hair products and the available ones run out quickly.

You see the difference.

The ethnic aisle should be an actual aisle, and not a sad and forgotten corner in the store.