How I Cleared My Skin and How You Can Too

My Skin care Routine For Clear Skin

How I cleared my stubborn acne

126
My Skin care Routine For Clear Skin
Isabella Nowak

Ever since the beginning of high school, I had stubborn breakouts. Random pimples would always pop up, and I just thought it was due to my age. Everyone gets teenage acne, right? After high school, I went away to college and realized that, while some people's skin cleared up, I still got stubborn pimples and redness. I stuck through it using cleansers, toners, and moisturizers, to no avail. I still had acne. The summer before my sophomore year of college I decided to cut the BS and go to a dermatologist.

My dermatologist prescribed to me two creams and said that I would have to apply them both, once a day. She also recommended cleansers and moisturizers that specifically would not clog my pores. I tried using these creams and recommended skin care products for a few months, and I still was not seeing a major difference in my skin. I do have to admit though, on multiple occasions, I forgot to apply the creams or I slept with my makeup on. Those things were definitely not aiding my issue.

During winter break, I saw my dermatologist again. I told her that overall my skin was improving, but I was still having breakouts. She talked to me about going on birth control to help my skin. She suggested that my hormones were contributing to my breakouts. I was extremely hesitant at first. I like to stick to natural products and remedies and birth control definitely is not that. She answered all of my questions regarding weight gain and other side effects that I assumed came with the use of birth control. After she explained the side effects, I decided to try it for a month and see whether my skin improved.

It 100% did.

In addition to taking birth control daily to help improve my skin, I do many other things that contribute to a clear complexion. I eat healthily, drink a lot of water, and follow an everyday skincare regimen. Here is my skincare routine for glowing, clear skin:

1. Eye makeup remover

I always begin my skincare routine by removing my eye makeup. I put coconut oil on a cotton pad and lightly rub my eyelid to remove makeup. It is a natural and cheap way to get the job done. According to expert dermatologist Carl Thornfeldt, "Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-yeast, and also works as a great first-aid cream. Because of its detergent effect, it works well as a makeup remover."

2. Cleanser

I use the Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash. I started to use it after I saw my roommate use it and wanted to test it out for myself. Not only is this product not tested on animals, but it truly does leave your face feeling squeaky clean. It does this through its use of broadleaf kelp extract that discourages excess oil production and through its use of wheat protein to balance and protect dry zones.

3. Toner

I use Clear Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent. I have been using this for a while now, and it has never failed me. It contains salicylic acid to help combat any stubborn breakouts and to instantly remove surface oil. After I wash my face, I like to put this toner on a cotton pad and apply it to my skin. It is crazy how much dirt the toner is able to remove even after I have washed my face.

4. Primary cream

The serum recommended to me by my dermatologist to help clear new breakouts and keep acne from forming is the Clindamycin Phosphate topical lotion. This cream is an antibiotic that works by stopping the growth of bacteria. I apply a pea-sized amount all over my face.

5. Moisturizer

The moisturizer that is recommended to me by my dermatologist is the Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer. This moisturizer is non-comedogenic so it does not clog my pores after I apply it to my face. I apply it to my neck as well.

6. Secondary cream

After I am done with moisturizing my face, I apply Tretinoin cream to an area of acne scarring around my nose. This product was prescribed to me by my dermatologist. I have really seen an improvement in my scarring since using this product daily. Tretinoin cream is a retinoid that works by affecting the growth of skin cells.

7. Facial spray

I use Mario Badescu Skin Care facial spray with aloe, herbs, and rosewater. I don't know how to explain this product other than saying that you absolutely need it. It is so refreshing and really helps soothe my skin after all of the products I use. I never feel that my skincare routine is finished without it!

8. Lip scrub

I use HONEY lip scrub from LUSH. I apply it to my lips, scrub lightly using my finger, and either lick it off when I'm done or use a towel. This scrub rids my lips of dead skin and leaves them looking plumper!

9. Lip balm

I use Smith's Rosebud Salve. This product is my holy grail. I have gone through every chapstick and lip balm imaginable, and nothing compares to this. You'll thank me later.