Family Influence on Music Tastes

How My Sisters Taught Me The Power Of Music

Heavy Rotation: Part Three.

189
https://www.pexels.com/photo/acoustic-acoustic-guitar-adult-blur-374711/

Heavy Rotation Part Three: How My Sisters Taught Me The Power of Music

I owe my love of music to many people but where I got my first fix was my house at a very tender age. There was always music playing in the house and my three sisters inadvertently introduced me to some of my favorite bands, but they also taught me the beauty of discovery: how to discover your place in the celestial world of music on your own.

Part three and the final article of this series, I dedicate to my sister Beth: our very own Rock Goddess. Beth spent her adolescent years learning guitar and playing music for us in our house. I have a memory, which I am not sure was a coping mechanism (besides sucking my thumb) or not, but I seem to recall my sister singing me to sleep with Cat Stevens' songs she learned to play. I asked her about this and she is unsure but knows she played them in the house when I was around, so it's possible. She also told me Cat Stevens is the reason she wanted a 12-string guitar, which she later sold to purchase her wedding dress in Arizona. (insert sad emoji face here). She is my inspiration for love of all things natural (animals, plants and flowers) as well as straight up, guitar shredding, rock and roll.

1. Cat Stevens:

One of the first artists ever to raise the hairs up on my arms. "The Wind" is my mantra song and "Where Do The Children Play" is my motto.

2. The Rolling Stones:

Although not played in my house that often, I developed a love for them through my sister and neighborhood friends. "Street Fighting Man" and "Miss You" are always on my playlists.

3. John Denver:

I know you wouldn't expect this artist on my playlist, but "Take Me Home Country Road" and "Annie's Song" are so well written, I couldn't deny them a place in my musical repertoire.

4. Bread:

If you are depressed or heartbroken, please don't listen to Bread. You won't be able to get off the floor.

5. Aerosmith:

Honestly haven't liked anything from Aerosmith since 1975, but that album, "Toys in the Attic" rocks!

6. Queen:

Even I couldn't resit Freddy Mercury belting out "Fat Bottom Girls".

7. Elton John:

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is still a favorite of mine, especially the songs, "Harmony" and "All The Young Girls Love Alice".

8. Nazareth:

Another great album from 1975, Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog". They were gritty rock: with teeth.

9. Bruce Springsteen:

I actually did not like Bruce until I had the opportunity to meet him on a television show I was working. He introduced me to his wife, all because I showed him where his rehearsal space was located. He's all right in my book.

10. Styx:

We all liked Styx in our house. Who wouldn't with classics like "Come Sail Away" and "Babe"?

My sisters have handed me the gift of music throughout different stages of my life. Music has brought us together, got us through heartbreak and sad occasions, it has saved my life more than once, just as my sisters have and for them I will always be grateful.