My Sister Is The One Who Saved Me — And She Had No Idea She Did

Sometimes you may fight, but other times they can be your best friend.

25135

Having an older sister is one of the most helpful things in life. She is there to answer all of your questions, practice hairstyles on you, and being there for you when you come home crying from school. I was lucky enough to have that big sister that helped me be mature and independent at a young age.

I think that when you are that older sibling, you have the sense of knowing when something is wrong.

Anytime I was having a bad day from friends or from being stressed with school, my sister always knew before I even told anyone. I have always told her things first because she is so comforting about anything that I admit to her. When I told her about my eating disorder the first time she was so nice about it and I expected her to be upset or ashamed of me for resorting to that solution. Every time after that, when I would start up not eating again, she always knew and was understanding. She cared, she saw that I was struggling and she never once complained about it.

I remember when I was going through boy troubles and was staying in my room just crying for days.

She came over that day and told me to talk to her about everything that I was going through. I just remember crying so much because I was so relieved that someone had noticed that I was struggling with something. My sister always knew I was struggling before anyone else did.

Every time when I wanted to give up, to give in to the demons that were inside my head, somehow that is when my sister would reach out to me and be there.

I remember one incident where I wrote a letter explaining how my eating disorder was going to kill me and I wanted my family to know, that is what happened. I left the note on the kitchen table so whoever found it would know but right after I put the letter on the table, my sister came and talked to me about how she knew that I was not eating again and wanted to help. She saved me. She was there when no one else was. I did not have the best of friends, so I always had my sister to go to.

I know that eight years is a big difference in age and yes, we did fight a lot when we were younger, but now we are so close and I wouldn't change a thing about our relationship.

She has always been a wonderful daughter, a great sister, and now she is a wonderful wife and loving mom to two. I am so happy that we are so close and now I can go to her with anything because she is so understanding.