Sibling relationships

My Sibling Is The Best Thing To Have Happened To Me

I once wanted to find a friend that knew everything about me, then I realized I already had him.

171
bruh
Nandini Kuntamukkula

I am not going to pretend that my brother and I have always gotten along. We used to fight and hurt each other just as much as any other brother-sister relationship. But we were kids then. Since we have grown up, my brother has been a source of support and encouragement that is irreplaceable and honestly, the best thing to happen to me.

They say that your siblings are your closest family relationships. They are the ones who grew up with you, they are the closest in age, and they are the relationships that will last the longest in your family because of that. They know exactly why you are the way you are. They know all of your biggest failures and greatest successes, and chances are they were there every step of the way. They know exactly what buttons to push to get a rise out of you, but they also know exactly what you need to hear when times are tough.

My brother and I only really started being civil in middle school. I remember the first real conversation I had with him was about a girl he liked. I was so happy that he wanted to share that part of his life with me. I was so happy he thought I was mature enough to confide in. My brother is two years older than me, so in my eyes, he was always the cooler one, despite what I said to his face.

I have seen a lot of different types of sibling relationships since I have been in school. And when people go off to college like most of your other relationships, the dynamic of your relationship with your sibling also changes. I have never been so happy that I had someone to pave the way for me than when I found myself alone in a town 700 miles away from home. My brother made a similar transition two years ago. In the experiences where I wasn't there for him, he was for me. The kind of understanding and support you get from someone who has been where you are and knows all of the dynamics of the way you were raised is unmatched and invaluable.

Over the years, we've had our fair share of tomfoolery, but my favorite moments with my brother are those that are much more understated. While choreographing and dancing and mixing together is fun, sitting on a sofa and annoying the shit out of each other just like we did when we were kids means much more to me. There's something about being able to transition so seamlessly from a young adult planning their future to a straight up child that is so very comforting. And really, the only person that you can actually expect to have those kinds of moments with is someone who saw you through all your weird and quirky phases.

I haven't seen my brother in four months. He has been studying abroad and I just started college. He didn't come home for Thanksgiving, so we've really only talked over video chat. While there's a lot that can be shared over phone conversations, it is not the same as sitting in the room you used to share with your sibling and reminiscing on your childhood.

This past year has been a year of big changes both personally and professionally for both my brother and I. There's been some pain, some heartbreak, some loss, and a whole lot of growth. The best thing about having a sibling is no matter how far your journey may take you, no number of miles can break the bond you have. When you have a sibling, you automatically have your number one fan and your toughest critic, but no matter what role they are playing that day you always have someone in your corner. It has been a long year and a tough year, but one thing I am glad to say hasn't changed is that my brother is still an overgrown child who annoys the crap out of me… and he's still my hero.