I've Officially Spent Two Birthdays In Quarantine, And I've Come To Realize, Maybe It's Not All That Bad

I didn't expect to spend my birthday in quarantine, nor did I expect to still be in a pandemic by the next one, but God has shown up in amazing ways through it all.

567
one candle on cupcake
Photo by Angèle Kamp on Unsplash

My birthday is in March, so I was one of the first batches of people to spend their birthdays in a pandemic. Now a year later, I am reflecting on the time spent in the pandemic thus far, and I can honestly say, it hasn't been the worst.

I'm not gonna lie, celebrating my 21st birthday in quarantine was not how I expected things to go.

I didn't expect to go out and party, but I certainly wanted to celebrate with family and some close friends. Instead, I sat poolside at home, in quarantine, with a margarita in hand. I even got carded by my two little brothers. So, all and all, not a bad way to spend my birthday.

This year, I am thankful to be able to spend my birthday once again with my immediate family, but the fact that I'm now 22 and the pandemic is still going on has me reflecting on the past year.

It certainly hasn't been an easy road for any of us, but I can honestly say, God pulled me through it and really showed me that trusting in Him in the middle of a huge storm can bring blessings.

So far in this pandemic, I've gotten to spend two whole months living in the same apartment as my boyfriend, who since we began dating has been long distance. We'd never seen one another more than any holiday break would allow. I also got engaged to said boyfriend and have been spending the last few months planning our wedding, which now, may end up being Covid-free.

All in all, I've learned a lot from this pandemic. I've learned to trust that God is on my side and wants what's best for me even when bad things happen. I know that my story certainly sounds like a good one and so many people have suffered through so much and can't say the same. One thing I can say for sure, though, is that we'll all be out of the woods soon and God is watching over every single step. I'm praying our country learns from everything that has happened this past year so we can be better for ourselves and for raising up the next generation. I'm looking forward to what's next, and praising God the whole way through, even if it's in another storm.