My 'Not New Year's Resolution'

My 'Not New Year's Resolution'

Habits are hard...

18
My 'Not New Year's Resolution'

Like most people I know, I sincerely feel that New Years' Resolutions are a waste of breath. I am sure, as we are rounding out two weeks into the year, many of you have either failed to make any resolutions or stopped whatever secret resolutions you have made for yourself.

That being said, it is the end of week two and I am still following my new habits that I have set in place. Want to know my secret? Yeah, me too... No, but seriously, I have remained on track with something for once.

Believe it or not, but I have begun getting up early and going to the gym (a small inspiration by my NROTC boyfriend. Thanks, Joe!) by 7:30 every morning. Joe and I started the routine together over break and I think it's something I would like to maintain. Then at night before I go to bed, I read 3-5 chapters of the bible on a bible in 365 days kind of plan I found. I am building up my body and my soul daily and I think that's kind of beautiful.

In order to explain myself, I will title this wonderful habit building process my "not new years' resolution." Like I said, I have kept this routine, but why? And how?

I believe I have kept my "not new years' resolution" because I have failed to title it. Or even to announce it to anyone. Before now anyway. (Thanks, Odyssey). By not calling it anything special, it really isn't anything special. Rather, it is my routine. I get up and I do it. Every. Single. Day.

Another key to success is that I started it before the new year. By starting it when I had abundant time, I now feel awkward and even more tired when I don't follow this already set routine. If I want to sleep in, my body fights it for a while. Let me tell you, it is quite the unusual occurrence. If you've read my previous articles then you know I am a slumber loving girl, but now I would rather go to bed earlier.

I think part of why I kept this is because it makes me feel good in the morning and then good again at night. By placing positive markers at the beginning and end of my day, it gives me something to look forward to. It makes me feel like even if my day was bad I have achieved small accomplishments and that is a great feeling for the day to day life.

Finally, I make sure not to be too hard on myself. Yes, it is important, but there are things that can get in the way. A few mornings ago I had an early morning meeting that prevented my workout, but I still kept my bible time. I give myself off days, so when unexpected things come up my rest days simply shift.

I am not pretending that my natural state is athletic, but I do believe something is better than nothing. So I am going to maintain that something.