My New Semester Resolutions

New Semester Resolutions I'm Actually Keeping Up With

You've heard of New Year's resolutions, but a new semester is basically a new year, and it's a great time to set some new goals for yourself.

0

Going into my first semester of college, my goals were essentially "go to class" and "try to adapt to life without your parents." I didn't really know how I was going to react to university life, and it really wasn't my top priority. However, I realized over winter break that there are a lot of things I could (and probably should) change about how I'm living in order to improve my general wellbeing and outlook on the world. Now that I'm back on campus, not all of those resolutions have held, but there are a few that I'm steadfastly keeping to. Here's how.

Eating healthier at the diner

Yes, that includes finally forcing myself to eat salads. There are a couple key parts to this resolution, and I'm following a certain set of steps to make sure I don't stray from the goal. Firstly, I'm limiting myself to three meals a day. Last semester, it was not unusual to go for a second or even third dinner. I was constantly eating, and it wasn't usually the healthiest stuff. This semester, I've set some limits on myself. In addition to this, I've started cutting out the greasiest food I see at the diner and opting for healthier choices, like salads, instead. Your body isn't made to process that much oil. Maybe skip on the diner mac and cheese, your skin will thank you for it.

Actually going to class

Last semester, I had a terrible habit of skipping the classes I didn't like. Here's the thing, not all classes are fun. But sometimes, even when you think you don't need it, going to class helps you interact more with the material. Maybe your professor is a bumbling idiot, or maybe you disagree with everything they say, but when you go to class, you're forcing your brain to work to understand what's being discussed. Just focusing on something is already a big deal, because it gives you a place to start from. Besides, you never know what you'll learn or how helpful some piece of new information could be.

Actively trying to look nice for class

Here's my thing with dressing up/wearing makeup: I don't really care for it. I find it tedious and stressful to put on mascara and eyeliner just to go to class and take notes. Why would I spend the time and energy to worry about my appearance when there are much bigger things for me to worry about? The reason is really that looking put together often helps you feel more put together. I'm not saying makeup and heels are the way to do that, but I set a firm goal to stop wearing sweatpants to class, because it makes me feel like I'm not taking my studies seriously. I don't want to feel like a slob with her life out of control, so I'm not going to look like it either.

Getting out of my comfort zone

So this one I'm sort of struggling with, but it's a work in progress. I spent my whole fall semester playing it safe with my extracurriculars, my professors, and even my friends. This semester, I've set new goals for myself. I'm pushing myself to get involved in new organizations, even the ones I wouldn't usually join, because I know that I'm afraid of thinking out of the box. Meeting new people is hard, but that's the plan for the next few months.

Whether they seem cheesy or not, setting and sticking to resolutions is one of the hardest things for a person to do. I don't tend to stick to my goals, but with almost two weeks down, it's looking like I'm pushing onwards.