My Neck was Cold, but Damn. Totally Worth It

A short piece for a short moment that put color into life.

28
Wall Devil

As a proud New Englander, winter is nothing new to me. I am used to subzero temperatures, frigid winds, and snow. Lots of snow. I own more winter coats, sweatshirts, beanies (ALL THE BEANIES) and gloves one person could fathom. With this being said, going to school in central New Hampshire, where it snows a foot at a time and negative degree wind chills are normal, is a piece of cake. The key I have found is bundling up! Lots of layers, allowing for no gaps and keep your head down to keep the neck covered. If you expose your neck to the cold, well then you will be a complete popsicle in a matter of minutes. These are some of the rules that myself and fellow northerners follow every winter. However, this routine can sometimes limit your view.

There was one night in November, I was walking from my car back to my dorm. It's about a 15-minute trek, through woods and then an apartment complex. It was 1215 in the morning, the wind was howling and snow covered the ground. I was all alone, not another soul around or awake, a rare occurrence for Plymouth State. With my head down, eye lock on the ground in front of me, I trudged to my dorm, until I hit the apartment complex. As I was walking through, I swear I heard someone say my name from an upper floor window. I ook up and scan, nothing catches my attention. Until I was a muscle contraction away from reburritoing back to my previous state, I looked up. I saw the clearest stars and widest expanse of the galaxy I have ever seen. The vivid color, the faint glimmer of stars and other celestial objects. My face was similar to that of a nurse seeing her patient defy the odds and walk again, or that of a sailor seeing land for the first time in months, as I gazed upon the unknown. The crisp stillness of the night only added to the dark visual of the spectacle above me, creating not just an ocular object in the two dimension, but an immersive experience fueled with brisk chill and sensory wanderlust.

It was a tiny experience, only lasting about a minute during my adventure back to my dorm, but it is something that will stick with me. No matter what, we will have those moments in life, kind of like bonus quests. Little extras that if we see them or do them, then great! We are better for it, but if not, then life goes on. So keep an eye out, you may just catch a starry night.