How I Found My Passion For Photography

How I Found My Passion For Photography

I never knew this was what I wanted to be.

8
How I Found My Passion For Photography

When I was in Kindergarten, I told everyone that when I grew up I was going to be a mom. Then after that, for a few years, I wanted to be a teacher. Then there was the year I wanted to be an environmental scientist and study bats. There were the years where I wanted to be an author. I recently wanted to work in politics. But that all changed when I finally woke up and decided that I was done trying to find something to do that would make me money. I realized that if I was going to pay for college then I was going to do what I wanted to do.

I started Instagram a few years back with my account Strawberry___Power. That account has since been deactivated, but nevertheless, it was how I was first introduced to something I truly loved. This love did not blossom until I made my second Instagram account during my freshman year of college. I started actually learning how to use Instagram and learning how to take good photos. After my first few photos went up, my account exploded in a way my old one never had.

I started really getting into it. I started talking about my photos non-stop. It was the only thing I was really focused on. I posted more and more every week-- different photos, but mostly revolving around nature. I hadn't realized then that I would completely fall in love with photography, but then one day when asked what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I found myself answering "I want to work in photography and possibly film". This stunned me, but once I said it I knew it was true.

I started taking my photography really seriously. I purchased a tripod and a couple different lenses that I could attach to my phone. I even started my own Facebook page showcasing my photos. Everything seemed to be going smoothly. That was until I realized that I couldn't minor in photography at Potsdam. I was so caught up in just doing photography, I had never realized that at the school I loved I wouldn't let me study the subject I loved. After sitting down and going through the minors, I finally decided on one. I decided to minor in film studies. This seemed to be the smartest choice because film is a next step up from photography.

After all this decision making, you would think I would be done making choices for a few days. But I didn't stop. Since deciding on my minor I have decided that I would move to New York City after college to pursue a career in photography and film through internships and small businesses. I also decided that, once I make a name for myself, I want to open my own studio in Colorado or somewhere in the mountains.

This is my plan now. I'm still in school and who knows where the next few years will take me. But as of right now, when I grow up I want to be a photographer and I want to live the life I always wanted.