An Open Letter To My Daddy

An Open Letter To My Daddy

When I am at my best, I am my father’s daughter.

802
An Open Letter To My Daddy
Candi Potter

Dear Daddy,

Where do I begin? There are no words to describe my love for you. I cannot thank you enough for your constant love, support, and encouragement through the years. You have always been there every step of the way helping to guide and shape me into the individual I am today. Though we may bicker, there is nobody else that could ever take your place. You are one of a kind and there are days we PRAISE Jesus for that! HAHA! And though I don’t say it because I am terrified it will go straight to your head (it usually does), you are my hero. There is nobody on this Earth whom I would want to take your place. It is truly an honor being your daughter.

Thank you for always being there.

There was never a dance recital, voice recital, cheerleading competition, or awards program that you were not present for me. Though you had a million other things on your plate (because running an empire is an ENORMOUS task) you were always in the crowd whether you wanted to be there or not. I know you always dreamed of having a boy so you never had to suffer through a dance or cheerleading competition, but you adapted to your role of having “sissy sperm” better than anyone I know. Not only were you there at the big things, but you have always been there for the little things as well. Any time I was having a breakdown, which is often, you were right there to help me figure out what path I needed to take, how to fix my problems, and make me laugh through the tears. Though you think I am crazy and cry way too often, you never let that stop you from coming to my rescue. You are the first person I call when I get into my frequent wrecks and when I am confused about how to cook canned garden peas at my apartment.

Thank you for teaching me right from wrong.

I could not be more thankful that you and Momma raised me to understand right from wrong. I believe I learned this idea the most watching you interact in your day-to-day life. You not only have always held yourself to a higher standard, but you also expected the same of me. A man who has never taken a drink in your life, but always the life of the party, you know how to have the most fun, but never judge or show disdain to those who express themselves differently from you. You would do anything for the people you love and you demonstrate the same love to your students, your friends, and even strangers. Thank you for teaching me to treat others with respect and the way I would want to be treated. If I become half of the caring individual you are, then I will consider myself successful. I will never forget the time you said to me, “I have taught you right from wrong, now it is your turn to determine what is right and what is wrong. It is a part of growing up.” I stood frozen at the thought. I had only been in college a few months and the thought of having to make decisions on my own terrified me. Yet walking away from the conversation, I felt a sense of peace wash over me. I was raised to understand right from wrong; I could do this. Plus, I knew if I did not make the right choice you would be right there to crucify me the next second. I am thankful that though I am making more decisions on my own I was able to learn the idea of right and wrong from such an incredible individual.

Thank you for loving me even when I screw up.

I feel like I screw up daily, yet you love me despite of my many, many flaws. You love me enough to yell at me when I don’t do the right thing and then you lead me back onto the right path without any question. Because of your love and support I feel like I am able to come to you with anything and everything.

Thank you for teaching me about Jesus.

My biggest and greatest thank you. I am most grateful you and momma took me to church every Sunday and talked about God always. The reason I am close to the Lord today is due to you guys. I am not sure I would be as close to the Lord today without the foundation y’all provided for me. Your love for Christ and the participation in church allowed me to see how important a relationship with God is. Through you I was able to create a relationship that will never change. My faith is the greatest gift you could have given me, thank you.

There are so many things I wish to add. I could go on forever about the wonderful and hilarious man you are. I am simply so grateful God blessed me with a daddy who cooks a huge breakfast feast on Saturdays, makes me laugh until I cannot breathe, loves me unconditionally, dances around the kitchen with us, and works as hard as you do.

I love you daddy-waddy! I will always forever be your little girl…xoxo!