My Stressful Experience Of Music Auditions In College

I worked so hard for it and I was scared that I wouldn't get in.

5

Music is my life. It's the only thing I really wanted to do with my life. I have been singing since I was one and a half years old. My whole life has been surrounded by music and I don't know what I would do without it. So when I got accepted into the music program at the University of West Georgia, you could tell I was relieved. It's not a long process to deal with but it was extremely nerve-wracking.

In order to be accepted into the music program, I would have to learn two songs and perform them by memory. So since I was already in college and doing homework, it made me stressed out. I wanted to make sure that I knew every inch of the two pieces of music. in and out. I did not want to mess it up at all. Like my mom would say, I'm a perfectionist. There was someone in my concert choir class that worked with me and helped me prepare for my music audition. She told me what the people judging would look for and she reassured me that I was good. She told me that I didn't have to be perfect because the reason for the music program is so I can learn.

Well, I wished I listened to her saying that I didn't need to be perfect. It would've prevented the nervous breakdown that I had. On the week before my audition, I practiced my music constantly. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't forget any words. I practiced after my classes. I practiced while hanging I hung out with friends. I wanted to make it good. Perfect actually. On the day of my audition, I woke up early and put on some professional looking clothes. I didn't eat anything (which was a really bad mistake by the way) because I didn't want to sing on a full stomach. I went to check in and they escorted me to the practice room until it was time for my audition.

I was the first person to audition which made me even more nervous than I was. I absolutely hate going first. Well, I stood on the stage with my heart beating fast and I sang my songs. When I finished, the judges asked me a few questions like "How did you practice for the audition?" or "What level do you want to teach?" I answered and then they told me that they would be in touch. I left the building and called my mom to let her know that I was done. While I was on the phone with her, I broke down. I couldn't stop crying. My mom asked me what was wrong and I couldn't tell her. I had all these scenarios in my head that would happen if I didn't get accepted. Like I said...music is my life.

If I didn't get in, I would've been devastated. My mom couldn't calm me down and since I kept crying, I ended up getting a massive headache. And also didn't eat anything so I also felt woozy. I took me a nap and woke up still upset. I Talked to my best friend and shouldn't calm me down. Neither my mom or best friend could and usually they can. I never had a nervous breakdown like that before. A new friend that I made texted me and asked me how my audition went. I explained the situation to her, and she actually calmed me down. Since she was a new friend, I realized that she calmed me down because I felt that her opinion was unbiased.

A few days after my audition I was told that I would get a letter in the mail soon and that I was accepted into the music program. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was so worried that I would have to find something else to major in because I didn't get in. But I didn't have to. I was accepted and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm all signed up for my music classes for the fall semester and I'm ready. I'll have to make sure that I don't stress myself out to where I have another nervous breakdown. But at least I am able to pursue my dreams. It was a long and stressful journey but it was worth it.