Moving Into A Place Of Your Own

Moving Into A Place Of Your Own

7 essential things you may forget you need to survive.

14
Moving Into A Place Of Your Own
Deliberate Magazine

Living in the dorms my freshman year of college gave me a sweet, sweet taste of freedom. Not that I didn't enjoy living at home (at times), but being on my own, if only under limited amounts, was something that just had me craving for more. So I began hunting for a place to call my own, on my own. It just so happened that some girls I had become friends with needed a fourth roommate; I was all in. I signed the early move-in summer lease, being able to stake my claim on freedom a little earlier than the others. Walking through that front door into the place I was going to call home for the next year filled me with pride. I was doing it; I was trying out this adult thing. Looking back a few months later at that day, man, was I naive. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to come and go as I please, eat pizza four days in a row or throw my clothes everywhere and not hear my mother begging me to make a walkway through the room. But I didn't plan ahead because let's phase it, I'm kind of still a kid. So here are a few lessons I learned on moving into my own place, and hopefully it will help someone out there.

1. Toilet Paper and Paper Towels

Buy them in massive bundles. You go through them quicker than you would expect, and you don't want to be stranded without one in particular.

2. Groceries

Yes, you actually have to buy them yourself, and yes, it is terrifying. I truly did not think grocery shopping would be so difficult until I was standing in front an aisle, overwhelmed. You find yourself calling your mom and asking why eggs are so expensive. Cheaper is better, and fun fact, it all tastes the same.

3. Sheets

I know, it sounds dumb, but don't forget your mattress needs sheets. Just trust me on this one.

4. Wifi

Make sure you understand the wifi policy, whether you have to buy your own, or the complex offers it. Attempting to login to your Netflix account on your laptop and then hitting the "No Internet" page is very upsetting. I do not wish this upon anyone.

5. Guests

Know that if you are one of few of your friends who has their own place, people will be over. Company is fantastic, honestly, but they will leave a mess, and you will notice. When it becomes something that is your own, watching it get messed up is kind of hard. Just be aware, they don't mean to.

6. Being alone

People will want to come see you, and it will be so fun, new and exciting, but remember why you moved. Being alone with yourself is important, especially these college years. You will learn a lot about yourself on the nights where you heat up yesterday's take-out and curl up with the book that will make you weep, and don't forget you have the choice of not wearing pants.

7. Laundry and dishes

The struggle is all too real. Take my advice: tackle both before you can no longer see over them. Just get it done, you have to so just do it.

These things may seem obvious, but when all you can think about is being able to call something yours for the next 365 days, you tend to forget about the minor, yet extreme essentials. They're simple, but they make a wild difference.