Moving Back Into School: Expectations vs. Reality

It's all fun until classes start and your mom is gone

10
alivecampus.com

Living with your best friends, being back on campus after months at home, and decorating your own place are all what you look forward to all summer. School starting back up always seems like its going to be much better than in reality, so here are a few expectations that always fall through every September.

Hanging out with everyone you haven't seen since last semester.

Expectation: You think you'll be jumping into the arms of all of your friends when you first see them. You're going to spend all day and night catching up and being together; fireworks and everything.

Reality: Everyone is sweaty and tired from moving in. Stress is everywhere when everyone is cramming all of their clothes into the dresser drawers that are never big enough. Most of the time when you see people you're waving from a distance hoping not to have the "How was your summer?!?" conversation.

Having the cutest dorm in your hall

Expectation: After hours of Pinteresting and DIYing, you officially put together the greatest decorations for your room that will make everyone in your building jealous. Your room is the only one that doesn't look tacky since it is so personalized to you.

Reality: Your room looks practically the same as everyone else.

Syllabus Week

Expectation: You walk into class. Your professor reads off the syllabus. You're back in bed within a half hour.

Reality: You walk into class. Your professor says, "You should have already read the syllabus I emailed last week" and the first lecture begins.

You'll become the next Gordon Ramsey in your kitchen

Expectation: Since you have a whole kitchen in your apartment that obviously means you're going to be breaking out all of those Betty Crocker recipes you've drooled over. And each one is of course going to come out perfectly.

Reality: Cereal is the only thing you actually "make".

Staying in shape

Expectation: Now that you are back on campus you're going to work out once a day since the gym is RIGHT THERE.

Reality: Stress eating

Your Bank Account

Expectation: You worked all summer so that you'll be able to have fun all year with what you saved.

Reality: You're scrounging up change just to be able to get a coffee in the morning

The Upcoming Year

Expectation: You're going to kill your classes, make even more friends, and build on an even better year than the past one. You're going to conquer new fears, laugh a ton, and grow more than you could have imagined.

Reality: All of the above :)