Mom, I Know I'm Your Baby, But It's Time To Let The Apron Strings Go

It's time to let me move on with all of the things I learned from you.

3535
Heidi Mae Brown

Dear Momma,

I never truly knew what appreciation meant until now. To the world, you're a mother, but to me, you're the world. Of course, I love you, and I'm thankful for all you've done for me, but it's time to let go of the strings.

I am almost 20. I'm to a point where you need to let go of the strings and let me use what you have taught me. I know we will have disagreements, but I'll be OK.

After all, I learned from you.

Marc Mero tells a lot about a mother's love, and I never really appreciated my mother until I met Mero. He put on a good presentation where I cried for days because I felt so sorry for missing something so important.

I realized that I needed to apologize because I was forgetting to love my mom.

I understand that I am always going to be your little girl. But, I am almost 20, and I need the chance to grow and use all of the skills I have learned.

Mom, you may not approve, but you can't tell me who to date, either.

Let me love the man I'm with. Stop trying to "help" me figure out who I want to be with. He makes me laugh, and I get along with him so well.

I need you to realize that your little girl isn't so little anymore, but I will always be your baby. Isn't what you want? Someone who will make me laugh and support my decisions?

Well, obviously, I found him. He makes me laugh, smile and, of course, makes me feel good about myself.

Please stop telling me I'm not in love with the man. Yeah, he's 10 years older, but he's honestly much better than my other ones.

He's perfect, and we've known each other forever. He has made a good impact on me. He's loving, caring and makes me laugh.

He lets me be who I want to be.

You're not letting me learn from my past mistakes. He's not like anyone else. I may have told you this before, who cares if he's older and a family friend. It is not weird.

I never did anything to yours and dad's marriage, so stop trying to sabotage mine because you're not happy with who I'm with.

I know I have found the one. It took me a few tries, but I think I got it right this time. So stop, please. Let me learn from my mistakes.

I am forever grateful to you for all you have done. But I need you to let me grow up.

Let me use the skills you taught me to go forward with everything. Let me transfer south to be in my happy place, and let me be wise with my decisions.

You don't have to agree with everything I do, and while I may be your daughter, I need you to let me grow up sometimes. I want to be with someone who makes me happy.

You found him in the early '90s when you graduated. Momma, please, I'm almost 20, let go of the strings.

Thank you,

Your Daughter