You Are More Than Just A Mirage

You Are More Than Just A Mirage

The truth to body image.

18
You Are More Than Just A Mirage

As I was preparing to write this article, I came across a few statistics from the website “Heart of Leadership” on the topics of pressure and perfectionism in young women. They are a few statistics that opened my eyes again to the reality of what just looking in the mirror can do to a young woman.

Check out a few of these realities:

92% of teen girls would like to change something about the way they look, with body weight ranking the highest.

90% of eating disorders are found in girls.

98% of girls feel there is an immense pressure from external sources to look a certain way.

53% of American girls age 13 are “unhappy with their bodies” and it reaches 78% by the time they are 17.

Seven in ten girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school, and relationships with family and friends.

Reading over these statistics really brought to life how real these issues are and where they can lead. As you read this, I want you to focus in with me on one major contribution to self-worth and low self-esteem issues: body image. If you are one of the 92% who would like to change something about the way you look, hear my words. I know how you’re feeling. When I entered high school, summer was the scariest two months to me. The one part of my body that I was extremely self-conscious about was my thighs. Summer meant swimming; swimming meant swimsuits. I vividly remember moments when I was so excited to go swimsuit shopping. I would only end up standing in the fitting room, frustrated and almost in tears. I hated the way my body looked. I had always heard that curves were beautiful, but I couldn’t make myself believe that they looked beautiful on me, a 15-year-old girl at the time. I would go to the pool and attempt to get in before anyone saw me out of water. When it was time to get out, I would do the same. I was so afraid that anyone who saw me would think I wasn’t pretty because of the way my body looked. I had let the enemy slip into that area of my life and completely take over. Thankfully I came to a realization one day.

You know the typical, cliche verse “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made”? That verse that you’ve seen on Facebook a million times, that you heard in a youth group sermon, or that you’ve seen hanging as decoration in houses. As many times as you’ve seen it, Proverbs 129:14 is by no means cliche. You see, a lot of people don’t even know the second part of this verse, but let’s take a look at it. “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” Key words “my soul knows it very well.” Do you believe that?

I know that it seems like you will never be able to feel confident in your body, but you can once you acknowledge that the Lord created it that way for a reason. For me, I know that this area is one that I struggle in, so I give it to the Lord. I surrender this insecurity to Him and remind myself constantly that I am made beautifully in His image. I promise that when you declare that over your life, you will see a change. Sure, I’m not the fitness guru that we see on Instagram. I eat way too many chocolate chip cookies, and I love to put extra Oreos in my milkshake. I also am oh-so-happy with my curvy body because that was one of the many details that God intricately designed to make me who I am. Every day, negative thoughts still swirl around in my mind, but I just choose to not believe them. I encourage you to do the same. When summer rolls around, don’t spend an hour examining yourself in a swimsuit in front of the mirror. Be confident. I have learned to love my body, and you should learn to love yours too! Your body is beautiful. Your body is unique. Your body is YOURS. Embrace it.

-LG