Communication Major Humorous Moments
Education

12 Moments You Will ONLY Recognize If You're A Communications Major

Even though I love communication, it is a pretty good punch line to some jokes.

206

As we come to the end of the semester it has dawned on me once again how different my life is as a communication major. My classes are very different compared to some of my science or engineering friends, I have tons of presentations and papers due soon and yet I still have to create time to watch reality television for homework.

Some say my major is strange or dumb, but other commies like me know the real tea of being in the communications field.

1. Your friends always wondering how you are able to take classes specifically about media production

I mean... you need to know how to use social media in this day in age guys.

2. Being the odd one out of any business classes you are required to take

When all your classmates are finance, accounting and marketing majors whose priority is to make money. Meanwhile, you are interested in PR and just want to make sure your company has a favorable public opinion.

3. People always asking "So, what can you even do with a communications degree?"

*Insert eye roll here*

4. When someone asks "Shouldn't you know what to say, since you're a communications major?"

Just because I understand the process of communication and disseminating messages does not mean I always know what to say or do in social situations.

5. Constantly having STEM majors imply that their lives are harder than yours

Everyone has a variety of different skill sets. Some people like math and science, some people like communicating and writing. One is not inherently harder than the other, it depends on who you ask!

6. Having to write ANOTHER essay on the effects of social media

I have written about six papers on some form of social media and its effects. It's to the point I can do it in my sleep.

7. Everyone thinking that you MUST know exactly what is going on in the news

I love social media, I love news and information but I am not a news feed. I am not a walking newspaper. I do not know everything about everything pop culture related.

8. Cringing when people give a bad presentation

We just sit and wonder how people genuinely do not realize that they cannot say "like" or "um" in every sentence. Or how they cannot fidget and look up at the screen constantly. Yikes.

9. You begin to overanalyze every form of media in the world that you used to simply enjoy

Television shows aren't that simple anymore. Every ad is selling sex or death. The newspaper and print world is dying. AH!

10. You actually rave about your major while all your friends complain about theirs

"So anyway, guys, I have to go edit my resume and update my Facebook to increase my social media presence."

11. You can make fun of your major...but no one else can

I can laugh at the fact that presentations are more important than my grades, but you certainly can't.

12. Presentations for any class seems like a breeze

I walk into every class and I feel like Beyonce when I give a bomb presentation...meaning every presentation.

Yeah, life as a comm kid can be tough but I wouldn't want to be anything else.