A Letter To My Dog, During My First Year In College
Lifestyles

It's no secret: I miss you the most.

2791
Sara Massei

Hey, Good Boy.

It's been a while.

I know we didn't exactly leave things on the best note... you were more than pissed at me when I left. As soon as you saw me pull out the first suitcase, the sulking began. You even laid behind the car while Mom, Dad, and I packed it up, hoping to either A) prevent us from going entirely or B) convince us to bring you with us. I'm sorry to inform you that your efforts were in vain.

I know this is all very confusing for you, that you don't know where I am. After all, I've left before, but this time it's different. You might not know that yet, but you will soon.

I miss you. I miss how your running down the hallway woke me up every morning, how excited you were to see me every time I came home (even if I was only gone for a couple minutes), how you would sit and stare at me whenever I had food, knowing very well I would end up giving you some - how could I tell you no? Here, I wake up to an alarm, my friends give me a "Hey," accompanied by a smile whenever they see me, and they sit across from me when we eat, but it's not the same.

Now, I've got to admit… I've been petting other dogs. I can't resist. In my defense, I'm sure you're getting pet by other humans, too. If it's any consolation, I tell every dog owner I meet about you. I tell them your name, your breed (which is obviously the best breed there is), that you're the best good boy out there, that you act more like a human than a dog, and that you're 4 and you'll be 5 in September, but you'll always be my puppy. If they stick around for that whole info session, I'll usually show them 5-10 pictures of you so that they can really see all the aspects of your personality.

What I'm trying to say with all of this is that I love you. Life isn't the same without you, and I know you miss me too. I'll be home soon and I promise I'll take you on tons of walks, car rides, and trips to the coffee shop (your favorite).

Love always,

A Dog-Deprived College Student