Labeling Millennials As 'Snowflakes' Is Wrong, It's Not Like Older Generations Aren't Sensitive In Their Own Ways

You don't get to call me a snowflake if you're offended by the phrase "Happy Holidays."

356

Unless you have had your head buried in the sand for the past year or two, you have probably heard the word "Snowflake" to describe someone who is liberal, cares about social justice, or sometimes it is thrown out as a blanket statement to describe the entire millennial generation. It has been a favorite new piece of lingo for the right-wing media, especially in the era of Trump.

The theory is that we (Millennials) are more likely to be offended by certain things that people say and are, therefore, less resilient than past generations. Our sensitivity has led us to censor free speech and create things like "safe-spaces" that coddle us from the real world and is creating a generation of weak individuals.

This is a nonsensical argument for two main reasons. First, conservatives get just as offended and upset by things as liberals do. Second, past generations got even more upset and offended by things than we do.

First, you don't get to call me a snowflake if you're offended by the phrase "Happy Holidays."

Conservatives have shown offense to everything from Starbucks cups to gay people buying wedding cakes. Conservatives are such snowflakes, they are even offended by birth control and comprehensive sexual education.

And then there is the argument that we are more sensitive than past generations. Anyone that looks into American history would know this is not logical. American's were so sensitive about race in previous generations, an entire penal code was changed to ensure the races never mixed.

These old people were such snowflakes, they couldn't even use the same drinking fountain as a black person. Don't even get me started on how gay people turned an entire generation of people into snowflakes and not just conservatives! (The Defense of Marriage Act was signed into law by Bill Clinton.)

Now I would never actually call someone a snowflake because it is just a bad argument to make from either side. There are things old conservatives get all worked up about and there are things that young liberals get worked up about. No side has the right to say that those concerns are worthless or render the other side too sensitive to participate in political debate.

It is also a massive generalization.

I am sure that there are many conservatives out there who are perfectly fine with gay wedding cakes or people raised in the 50s who are perfectly comfortable drinking out of the same water fountain as a black person.

Just like there are millennials who think homosexuality is a disease and that whites are the superior race. The point of this is to show the stupidity of generalizing an entire political ideology and generation as "snowflakes" because they care about things different from what has been cared about in the past.

So if you care a lot about an issue, to the point you get emotional over it, you are not a snowflake, you are a human living in a democratic society. Never forget that, and never hide your views from the rest of us out of fears of being called a "snowflake."