Despite Popular Opinion, Millennials Are Actually The Best Generation

Despite Popular Opinion, Millennials Are Actually The Best Generation

In my opinion, we are the most progressive and hardworking generation.

92
family guy peter becomes a millennial

The most recent guideline that defines someone as a millennial is someone born between 1981 and 1996 while Gen Z is someone born after 2000. Those of us who were born between 1997-1999 are up for debate about where we belong.

Personally, I was born in 1997 (only one year after the cut off date) and I have always thought of myself as a millennial. I remember a world without technology, yet I easily adapted to a world dominated by it; as technology matured and grew, so did I. I remember all of the 90's shows we resonate our childhood with, even if it was later on in the decade. Most importantly, I am extremely achievement-oriented, sometimes to the point to where it can be a flaw.

These are just a few characteristics that make up this wonderful generation. On the other hand, Millennials are often called lazy, entitled, and even disrespectful. When in reality, we are the most overworked generation, believe the world can be a better place and aren't afraid to actually question authority because we are anything but push-overs.

Those who are baby boomers are also known to be hard workers, but they have been known to have a hard time adapting to new technology that tends to make the workplace run better and smoother. While those who are Gen Z use technology easily, because they grew up with more advanced technology, they are known to be less hardworking, and less apt to take risks in life since they tend to be not necessarily spoiled, but definitely more coddled.

With millennials, you are able to get the best of both worlds, which in my opinion is our greatest strength as a generation. It makes us an asset in not just the workplace, but an asset when it comes to changing the world and making it a better place.

The absolute best example I can give of a successful/powerful millennial is the one and only Mark Zuckerburg, the founder and CEO of Facebook. There are also the lesser-known Millenials who have achieved major success, such as Daniel Ek, the founder of Spotify, John Zimmer, the creator of Lyft, and Sean Rad, the creator of the infamous app, Tinder.

Millennials are often so underestimated when in reality our generation has proven time and time again that we have the power to not only change the world but change it for the better. The crazy thing is, older generations constantly dumping on the younger generation for the new way of doing things isn't a new concept.

We as humans are supposed to grow and become more progressive as a species. Millennials are more open-minded and accepting than most if not all generations before them, and while it may make some of the older generation uncomfortable, this is actually a good thing for future generations to come.

So let's stop blaming an entire generation for the world's problems when in fact we are the ones having to fix these issues that the same generation that complains about millennials created in the first place,