Michigan Redistricting Proposal 2018

Why Michiganders Should Vote 'Yes' on Proposal 2: The Redistricting Proposal

Because "Voters should choose their politicians, not the other way around."

1112

Voters Not Politicians is a registered ballot committee that is working hard to make amendments in our Constitution that redirects power to go back to voters. This group aims to raise awareness and lead the charge to redraw legislative and congressional districts by the citizens themselves, not politicians.

Over 400,000 voters from across the state rallied together, and Voters Not Politicians racked up enough signatures to make it impossible to ignore the push for change.

This November presents an opportunity to make a huge shift towards what Voters Not Politicians have been working hard for since 2016. With a motion of 3-0 from the board, the proposal to give power back to the people won favorably. In November, Proposal 2 will be on the Michigan ballot.

Gerrymandering has been used in the United States political system for upwards of 200 years, and it has been relatively controversial throughout history. Gerrymandering is used to favor a single political party, often the one that is in control or is seen to have the most power in the area. Through cracking, which draws lines to spread out oppositional voters as far as possible, and packing, which aims to group together oppositional voters into a single district- both tactics severely screw election results.

Regardless of the party you're in, there's a good chance voting yes on Proposal 2 will benefit yourself and our state in the long run. If the proposal passes, the resulting amendment would create an independent redistricting committee. The committee would consist of 4 democrats, 4 republicans and 5 independent members.

Some congressional and legislative districts in Michigan are drawn with such political intent that you can hardly recognize them. Congressional 14th District in Michigan is a prime example. It runs from Auburn hills, and zigzags its way down to the base of Detroit- composed of weird shapes and sharp edges, designed to benefit the party in office.

Michigan is one of 28 states that gives redistricting power to the legislation, which means that districts change vastly based upon which party holds the majority. Not to mention, there is a danger with giving a party this much power. Scandals can occur, and it's difficult to combat an awry party when they have this much control over vote distribution.

This non-partisan redistricting committee would bring voices back to all voters in Michigan- vote yes.