To Miami University Freshmen From A Second Semester Senior, Know This
Campuses

Enjoy college while you can.

266
Julia Waterbury

As I'm nearing the end of my college career, I can look back and say with confidence that choosing Miami University was one of the smartest decisions that I've made. I've absolutely loved my three-and-a-half years at Miami and am so thankful for all that I've learned and the lifelong friends that I've made. My time here has definitely flown by, but I've managed to learn a few things that I hope to pass down.

Rubbing the turtle heads doesn't work. 

I'm sorry to break it to you but, no, rubbing the turtle heads on the sundial will not ensure that you do well on your exam. I have only ever failed one exam and it was after I rubbed the turtle heads (RIP to my calc grade). And no, I did not step on the seal after I rubbed the turtle heads.

Still don't step on the seal.

Despite the fact that I've debunked the myth of the turtle heads, you will not find me stepping on the seal. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard stories. Even as a second semester senior with a case of senioritis I value my grades too much to risk that one.

Listen to your professors when they say to find an internship.

Julia Waterbury

There's a lot of pressure to get an internship at Miami and sometimes it can feel a little overwhelming. However, as someone who had an internship, I can tell you that it's one of the best decisions you can make. I learned so much from my internship and even landed a full-time job there after I graduate.

There's more to Oxford than Brick Street. 

We all know that Brick (along with all the other bars Uptown) is one of the most popular spots for students on a Friday or Saturday night. While there's nothing wrong with going out and having a good time in college, going out isn't everything. There's so much more to Oxford and college than bars. College is all about making memories, so go out (or stay in) and make some that you'll remember.

Study abroad.

Julia Waterbury

Studying abroad was without a doubt the best experience I've had in my time at Miami. We're so fortunate at Miami to have so many options for study abroad. I chose to spend a summer on the French Riviera, but you can go anywhere! Pro tip: if you're an in-state student the Miami programs are the same tuition as you'd pay in Oxford, but for you out-of-state students like me, look at other study abroad companies' programs. They're significantly less expensive and your credits still transfer!

Work hard, but remember that grades aren't everything. 

I've always been a perfectionist and my grades are no exception. I spent all of high school and most of college beating myself up every time I got a B. While it's important to work hard and to strive to get good grades, your grades aren't everything. Looking back I wish I hadn't put so much pressure on myself to get straight As. Instead of actually making me smarter, all of that pressure just made me feel stressed and frustrated when I didn't meet my own standards.

If you haven't already, get involved. 

Julia Waterbury

I've said since I was a freshman that getting involved in campus organizations is the most important part of college, and I would still agree with that statement. Miami has so many different clubs that you can join that everyone is guaranteed to find the place where they feel like they belong. I recommend joining a professional organization as well as one that aligns with your personal interests, whether that's a sports club, a campus ministry group, or a sorority/fraternity.

Don't be scared at the prospect of graduating. You'll be ready.

I remember that my freshman year I was terrified by the knowledge that I only had four more years before I was going to be thrown into the real world. I was already absolutely loving college and in no way thought that four years was long enough. However, now, three-and-a-half years later, I can say that I'm definitely looking forward to graduating and to what's to come.

Enjoy college while you can.

Julia Waterbury

Even with the above being said, still make the most of your college experience. College is a time in your life like no other, and I can tell you that those four years will fly by. Cherish the time that you get to spend seeing your best friends every day and enjoy the freedom of being (almost) an adult without all of the responsibility.

I hope everyone has as wonderful of an experience at Miami as I've had. Although I'm looking forward to graduating and moving on, I'm definitely going to miss our beautiful brick campus and all the wonderful people there.