3 Simple Ways To Meditate When You're In A Hurry

Mindfulness is about being in the present moment.

123
Unsplash

First of all, mindfulness is not about religion and it’s not about a spiritual experience in every day. Mindfulness is about being in the present moment.

“If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.” – Lao Tzu

Being mindful is something that I practice daily. With being in college, things can get pretty hectic, and finding the time to designate to this practice can become difficult. Between work, school, friends and family, I have learned a few tricks of the trade and wanted to share them with you!

There are a few different ways you can incorporate meditation into your busy schedule and it’s up to you to figure out which works best for yourself. We are all unique human beings with intelligent brains that work a little differently than each other and I would love to know which one of these three tactics work best for you and why!

1. Short sits

Finding a minute or two each day to sit and unplug for 60 seconds is something you can definitely manage. Whether you are early to class, waiting for an appointment, or simply taking a break from the job in front of you, short mindful sits are easy to do. Sitting completely still and focusing on your breathing is all that it takes.

You simply clear your thoughts and significant effects will begin to happen. I have found a multitude of meditation podcasts on Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora that are short guided sessions to help you become more mindful.

2. Podcasts

Mindful podcasts are so simple and easy to tune into. Plug your headphones in and find a quiet space to relax and reflect. A few of my favorite podcasts include Deep Energy by Jim Butler (Soundcloud), The Daily Meditation Podcast (also on Soundcloud) and My Meditation Station. Podcasts are a good source of mindfulness to start off your day right when you sit up in bed.

Listening to these first thing in the morning is a sure way to stay present and mindful throughout your day. I have found that during my lunch hour podcasts are a good way to disconnect and clear my thoughts.

3. Driving meditation

This isn’t as scary as it sounds, I promise! Driving is one of those things that forces you to stay in the present moment because you constantly have to be aware of your surroundings. In order to meditate while driving, all you have to do is breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. Focusing on your breath and letting every thought that arises in your head, drift off until you focus on the present moment of driving. Putting on some meditation music helps with this process as well.

How do you stay mindful? Share with me your favorite podcasts, tactics or even time of day that works best for you.