Why Media and Communcation Majors are Important to the 21st Century

I don't major in "making friends"

17
Google Images

When I tell people I'm a Communications major, the first thing they say is "Oh, so you're majoring in making friends?" Well, sort of. Yes, there is a lot of networking done for the career paths within my major (like journalism), but it’s way more than just "making friends." I also learn how people communicate with each other, and how the means of communication have changed over time and impacted our lives. Some may say that media and communications majors are “taking the easy way out” by choosing a major that isn’t difficult or important to society, as compared to STEM fields. However, that is far from the truth.

1. Communication skills are important in any field

If you’re a doctor, you’ll need to know how to word certain phrases in difficult situations to earn your patient’s trust. If you’re a politician, you’ll need to know how to persuade an audience and convey your platform effectively. Regardless of occupation, other fields can benefit from what a media and communications degree teaches you.

2. It's the basis for getting a job and advancing your career

To get an interview, you need to communicate that you should be considered for the job. In your interview, you need to communicate why you should have this job. To actually do your job, you need interpersonal skills like problem solving, teamwork, and interacting with colleagues and clients. To climb up the workforce ladder, you need to show you can problem solve and work for yourself. It's like that "If I don't go to school, I can't get a job" commercial. If you aren't a good communicator, you can't do your job well.

3. We need people to create media

Imagine a world without movies, social media, memes, and epic SuperBowl commercials. Doesn't sound too interesting, right? Without media and communications, we wouldn't have people creating interesting content for audiences to absorb, share, and talk about.

4. We are constantly changing how we communicate

Thanks to technology and social media, we don't need to be face-to-face in order to interact with each other. Whether it be a liked tweet or a frowning-faced emoji, technology is not hindering interpersonal communication-- It's actually helping it. We need those to study how we're constantly communicating because it has immensely impacted us culturally.

5. You aren't pigeonholed with a Media and Communications degree.

Comm majors aren't just becoming journalists and PR reps. They're becoming lawyers, actors, private investigators, and event coordinators. You can open a lot of doors with that one degree

Media and Communications may not be the most difficult major on the planet, but it is still an incredibly important discipline that shouldn't be scoffed at or negated. It's important to study physics and biology, but it's also important to study the importance of body language or how memes reflect and impact our culture. You don’t just network when you’re a Media and Communications major. You also learn important lessons to be prepared for any work environment in the 21st century.