There's A Difference In Marrying Young And Marrying Early

Because there's definitely a difference.

1686
Google Images

I don’t think I’m the only one who’s noticed that it’s wedding season again. All of the proposals have been announced on social media since the holidays, and we keep scrolling through our feeds looking at pictures of engagement photo-shoots and happy couples. But since we’re still in college, should we really be hearing this many wedding bells?

There’s always been a constant debate about the appropriate age at which to get married. I feel as though our grandparents all got married when they were 18 or 19 years old, and then our parents got married later around the age of 25 or 26. Today, however, I see more couples getting married at a younger age once again. I don’t see a problem with getting married at a younger age at all; but there is definitely a difference between getting married young and getting married early.

To me, getting married early is not the best choice. Too early would mean you’re rushing into things, you’re settling on your significant other or you don’t have anything for your future figured out yet. If you get married too early, you’re making a commitment that you’re not fully ready to commit to. It doesn’t really matter what your age is if you’re getting married too early either. It’s all about your own personal timing. If you’re not ready, you’re not ready. There’s no need to act on the pressures of other people or the pressures of society just to put a ring on it.

On the other hand, people think that getting married young is a bad thing. The word “young” can mean different ages to different people. In my opinion, getting married in your early twenties isn’t bad at all if you know you’ve found the person that God made for you. Age is a number that does not define your maturity. If you have grown to realize your own worth and matured into a God-fearing, Jesus-loving individual, you may be ready for that next step with your soulmate if he or she really is your soulmate.

If you have found someone that you will do anything for, be slow to anger and quick to forgive and love unconditionally as Jesus loved you, and that person feels the same way, you’re more prepared for marriage than the couples who are getting married just for the sake of getting married. Marriage is a commitment that is mutual and centered around the Lord. As it says in Genesis 2:24, “Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Marriage is an act of love between two people who are ready to move forward in life and serve the Lord together. It is through God that you have met, and it is to Him you should praise for falling in love with each other.

If you and your significant other have realized God’s purpose in bringing you two together, you are not “too young” to get married, no matter your age. Sure, society can assign a number that is appropriate, but only you and your future fiancé know when you are truly ready to get married.

Knowing that I have found a man who will protect me and love me like Jesus loves him makes me truly blessed. We are both seniors in college at this time, and we have a lot of figuring out to do before we take that next step. I know that I have found the one whom my soul loves (Song of Solomon 3:4), and no number is going to define when our relationship is ready. We will make the decision together to step in the direction of marriage, but we will not be getting married too early. When it comes time, and we both feel ready, we will pray about it and see that we are ready even if we are still young. Marriage carries different weights in today’s world, but be sure to know if you’re just getting married young or if you’re getting married too early. Either can change the course of your life.