Makeup Brushes 101: For Those Who Just Have No Clue

Makeup Brush Education is Necessary for Any Budding Beauty Expert

98
Makeup Geek

Raise your hand if you have bought a brush set, determined to learn and use every single brush, and now you use only one brush for everything from your foundation to your blush to your eyeshadow to your mascara. Raise your hand if you think that using your fingers for all of the above (give or take mascara because that would actually be impressive) is the best way possible to apply your makeup. Raise your neighbor’s hand, since you may or may not have run out of hands now, if you have a beauty blender and have been using it incorrectly and wondering what this hype is about a dumb sponge. You can not put your hands down because you will need to scroll and read on when to use these tools and when to not. Theres tons of brushes that have multiple uses and theres also a bunch of products and brands that recommend or are better when you use your fingers. However, there is a lot of confusion when picking a brush for a product, which one is going to apply that product the best, and how to even use the tool properly without feeling like an idiot.

There are essentially two types of brushes when it comes to the type of hair or bristles that the have. Typically, brushes that have bristles that are one color or are not an unnatural color are natural hair brushes. Think of our own hair. We put so many products on our hair and our hair soaks all of the product up because of how porous it is. Same as natural hair brushes, it’s going to soak up any liquid or cream products and its not going to sit on your skin right, and it’s wasting your product. Natural hair brushes are perfection when it comes to any type of powder because it lays and blends the product seamlessly. Synthetic brushes are perfect for liquid or cream products because it puts down the same amount of product that you put on the brush while also having the product blend beautifully on your skin. Opposite of natural hair brushes, synthetic hair brushes can be used for powders and liquids but in most cases, natural hair brushes apply powders a little bit better (probably a biased opinion).

“Wow Anna, thanks for the tips and I greatly appreciated the hair analogy but why in the world are there so many brushes and so many different shapes and sizes?” You’re welcome, and great question.

So you have noticed that there are different lengths of hair and how some are domed shaped, flat, rounded, super duper fluffy, extremely dense… There is a reason for all of that. Think of when (and if) you are painting on a canvas, when you use a a long haired fluffy brush, the paint is going to be more spread out and you, as the artist, have less control, or what some people like to call it, abstract art. With a small precise brush, where you place the paint is going to be exactly where you want it, you have full and complete control of where you are going to place that paint. The same thing goes for makeup brushes. A large fluffy natural hair brush is awesome for powder going all over the face because you don't need precision when setting the face or doing an all-over subtle bronzer. A smudge brush is so short and dense because it is meant for small detailing and for tiny movements, unlike a fluffier eyeshadow brush.

“Anna, I really appreciate all of your analogies, you are so creative! So now that I have learned to not use my eyeliner brush for contour, when can I use my fingers because I typically use my fingers for all my makeup.” Stop, you're making me blush, and again, great question.

Brushes are amazing when you want a seamless blend or when you want a more full coverage look. Brushes are perfect those more powdery products and are also a time saver. However, some products work just as well, or sometimes better when you use your fingers. NARS, for example, recommends that you use their foundation with your fingers because it blends better with the warmth of your touch and it also helps the color adjust to your tone better. Some shimmery eyeshadows from Urban Decay or creme shadows from Dior or Chanel work better with your fingers because it causes the shimmer to be more intense and there is waaaaaaaay less fallout when you apply with your fingers. Even highlighters are pretty when applied with fingers because you can place them in small areas like your inner corner of your eye or layering highlighters on the tops of your cheekbones. Another thing about using your fingers is that most products work better when they are warmed up. Taking a product straight from the tube, such as a concealer, and then applying it directly to your face wont blend as well if you were to apply that concealer to the back of your hand first and then apply it under the eye or on any spots. Fingers shouldn't be the go-to “tool” for every product but experiment when you do get that new eyeshadow palette or that new concealer. And remember, warmth is key.

“Wow Anna, I am so grateful for you and your knowledge. What would I do without you? Last question. Why did I spend 20 dollars on a beauty blender when I know all about brushes and my own fingers now?” Please, it’s the least I can do, and great last question.

The beauty blender has become a favorite, no, essential to any makeup artist, guru, or budding makeup lover. It can be used to blend out foundation, concealer, blush, highlighter, primers, self tanners, etc. If its makeup or skincare, a beauty blender will 98% of the time be a go-to tool for it. First step when using a beauty blender is soaking it up with water, and I mean soak it. “Wait, water?” No, Root beer. YES WATER. You want to see that the beauty blender has now almost doubled in size. Next step is to squeeze all the water out and make sure that the beauty blender is not dripping any water and that it is only slightly damp, but not dry or soaking wet. Final step, apply or blend. I love applying my primer with a beauty blender, buffing in my foundation with a dense synthetic brush, and then picking up any excess with the beauty blender to give it the Instagram baddie finish. The reason for soaking the blender with water is so that any product you put on it, especially liquids, will not be soaked up but placed on the skin flawlessly. Since the blender is already filled with water, it has nothing to soak up now. Using this with any product that is water-based may be one of the only problems that you run into because it will soak up any water that is in the product and not place it how you intended it. You can even use the beauty blender, damp, on blushes and highlighters. it makes these products look so natural and blended that it looks like your actual skin.

Brushes, beauty blenders, even our own fingers can be intimidating when it come to makeup because there are so many options and types or tools out there. I hope that this can clear up any confusion and that you're next face beat is done with the correct tools of the trade.

“Anna, you are seriously the best. Thanks for being you.” Ditto.