Safety In Ubers

Your Uber, Your Safety Matters

We need to acknowledge the dangers of Uber and how to make it safer for all of us.

12
Your Uber, Your Safety Matters

The Northeastern community of the United States had one of the most terrifying events to happen to a college student. A woman was killed getting into a vehicle that she thought was her Uber. While Uber urges users to speak with the driver before going in, this woman had been alone at a bar and left alone. This brings up the topic of never traveling alone while under the influence, and this pertains to both male and females.

It's time to put more emphasis on going out with one or more person because your safety is your life.

It's terrifying as both a college student and a woman that this tragedy occurred. Ubers are frequently used by college students who do not have a car on campus, need to go shopping, or are going out with friends. Uber drivers, no matter how often an Uber is used, are strangers. We as people need to speak to the driver and feel safe before getting in the Uber. If you do not feel safe, you do not get into that Uber. Your life is worth more than the driver's personal feelings. If they rub you off the wrong way, you refuse to get in. Nothing is worth more than your life.

Uber offers many precautions to avoid getting into the wrong car, but mistakes happen for many reasons. We need to put more trust in our friends or family, rather than what the app is telling us. If you are under the influence, the possibilities that can happen to you are endless. It's scary to think and acknowledge, but the danger to your life is very real. There are bad people out there that if they had the opportunities to hurt you, they will.

So what can you do to keep you or a friend safe?

For one, I'm going to emphasize that you stop taking an Uber alone, especially when it's late at night or you are under any form of influence. Bring a friend with you to wherever you are going, and don't leave a party completely alone. Even if you have a sober friend guide you into an Uber, and checks that it is indeed your Uber, that's okay. Having a sober friend to ensure you are safe is always important for your safety.

Letting your friends get notifications from your Uber app is always a good idea. A friend of mine said that because we use Uber often, and due to recent events, she wouldn't be the only one in charge of getting the Uber and knowing which Uber is ours. The more people with the knowledge or what our Uber is and looks like is safer for everyone. Knowing what your Uber driver looks like is important because that can set off alarms if the car you are getting into may not be your ride.

I cannot stress enough the importance of the buddy system. No matter what age you are, what gender you are, or what race you are, everyone has the possibility of getting hurt. Protect each other, because this world is scary enough, and finding a way home should not be. Take care of each other. Keep each other safe, and keep your friends and loved ones alive. If everyone looks after one another, the incident with the poor college student hopefully may never happen again.