Never Get Enough of Loving Yourself: Body Appreciation

When it comes to your outward appearance, remember to love yourself and show yourself the best love possible.

412

The subject of body image has been conceptualized and assessed in terms of its negative dimensions. Through the media and negative conceptual thinking, the stigma around "being thin" is damaging to the mental state of human beings, especially college students.

Body image is a multidimensional construct that includes self-perceptions and attitudes such as thoughts, feelings, and behaviors with regard to the body.

Body image issues are a common problem. In a society that promotes unrealistic body ideals, it is challenging to not get caught up in comparing oneself to these unrealistic standards.

We see it in the media where TV shows and commercials promote the “skinny” body image has a positive body image. We also see it in social media where individuals feel intimidated, challenged, and often sullen towards photos that are posted with “perfect” body images in clothing and swimwear. In a modern society where positive body images are glorified, we see a correlation between social media likes and positive body image.

There are many people who believe that in order to receive a high volume of likes and followers on social media, you must have the conceptualized body image that society has constructed, along with unrealistic beauty and facial features.

However, there have been many social media accounts, and individuals, who are taking a stand against this mentally damaging stigma when it comes to body image and what the definition of positive body image is.

In my opinion, a positive body image has no true definition. A positive body image is just loving yourself for who YOU are. I believe that people shouldn’t let the stigma of being skinny equate to a positive body image that may cripple their self-worth and self-love.

What society fails to understand is that everyone is born in different shapes and sizes, and not everyone is meant to be a size 0 or a size 4, and with the variety of shapes and sizes, everyone should be loved and appreciated, despite how big or small they may be. But, because European beauty standards are popular and made mainstream during this modern day society, many are overlooked, ridiculed, and bullied for not being a certain size, or looking a certain way.

Companies such as Aerie and Dove are beginning to start campaigns that express self-love, empowerment, and body positivity.

It’s important for companies and mainstream media to hop on this movement of self-love and body appreciation because everyone deserves love despite what their outer appearance may look like.

I’m here to let you know that body appreciation is the best thing you can do for yourself. Love every ounce of who you are, every curve, every wrinkle, and every stretch mark. There is nothing wrong with your body and there’s no reason why you should change who YOU are, your own unique self, for anyone else or for anybody’s beauty standards. It’s a beautiful thing when it comes to being yourself. When you begin to love yourself and realize your self-worth, it starts to radiate onto others and they see the beauty that you have within you.

So, hug yourself tight, never let go, and love yourself HARD. There’s no love in the world like the love you can have for yourself!