Looking Back At 2020

Looking Back At 2020

A year full of uncertainties and unprecedented circumstances...

11
Looking Back At 2020

In a year full of controversies and debates, I think many would agree that this has been a year unlike any other. Natural disasters, racial tensions, political unrest, and a global pandemic...

There's been so much packed into this one year that the past 365 days have felt more like three years.

It's probably safe to say that 2020 has been eventful, and many (if not all) are ready to be rid of this year.

Though, despite all the craziness that comprised this year, I think it's essential to take some time to reflect.

This year wasn't all bad, and I often have to remind myself of this.

There were small moments that inevitably amounted to big lessons tucked in between all the seemingly bad parts of 2020.

While I may be ready to ditch this past year, there are several things I was reminded of or learned that I plan to carry with me into 2021 and the years to come.

Take time to listen more and talk less.

As a Christian, I want to love people well and demonstrate Christ's heart for them. One of the ways to do this is by simply listening.

This year has been filled with a lot of hurt. I don't think this is something unique and confined only to 2020, but I do think this past year has opened my eyes to the hurt of those around me.

Maybe it was the chaotic mess of events that took place, but this year opened my eyes and ears unlike ever before. I think this is true for a lot of people, as well.

Turn off the noise. Take time to sit and bask in the beauty of God's heart.

One of the books I read this year was Gentle and Lowly by Dane C. Ortlund. I cannot recommend this book enough!

If you're a believer, then you know that Christ loves you. However, do you realize how deeply and richly this love flows? In Gently and Lowly, Ortlund draws on Matthew 11 to paint a picture of the heart of Christ for sinners.

I think too often, as believers, we would claim to know that we are loved. Though, we don't take time to sit and think about what this means.

We are messed up, broken people.

Yet, the very heart of Christ draws near to us in our sinfulness, and there is nothing that can separate us or snatch us from His hand.

What a beautiful picture and reminder in a year full of discouragement and disappointments.

If nothing else, this year made evident how truly broken this world is, and there is only one solution to this brokenness. His name is Jesus.

So, good riddance to the events 2020 but not the lessons learned. May 2021 and every year after be a year dedicated to listening more, basking in the beauty of God's heart, and relying on Jesus all the more.