A Long Time Coming

A Long Time Coming

I've waited 14 years for this day.

20
A Long Time Coming
Michaela Nolan

This September something big is happening, not only in one of my brother's lives but also in my own. Last year while out to lunch with a friend, my brother Shane called me with some news. He told me that he had just purchased an engagement ring for his now fiancé and soon to be wife. While on the phone I started crying to the point that my friend thought that something was wrong, but in all actuality I could never have been more excited. This was 362 days ago, and now they are getting married in less three days!

Their story is one that is very unique, and one that you would think to only happen in movies — yes, I know this is cheesy, but it's true. They met when they were in sixth grade at a middle school dance, and have been inseparable ever since. I think they know each other like the back of their hands, sometimes even better than they know themselves. They will not only be husband and wife, they are way more than that, they are each others' best friend.

All my life when people ask me about how many siblings I have, I typically say "I have three older brothers." Yes, technically this is correct, but looking back, in a way I can see how at the same time that statement might not have been 100 percent accurate. Katie has been around ever since I was born, so she is essentially already my sister, and I'm happy that I can say that. Growing up with three older brothers was admittedly a roller coaster of a ride for me, but along with that comes something that I wouldn't trade for the world. From having three older brothers I have so far gained one sister- in- law and will have another one sooner than I know — I couldn't be happier! I used to find myself hoping that one day this would be true, and actually become a reality, and let me tell you I was right. One of the things that I am looking forward to the most is when Katie walks down the aisle, yes without a doubt she will look beautiful but I can't wait to see my brother's face when he sees his wife for the first time in her wedding dress! I thought that these past fourteen years waiting was long enough, but let me tell you this past week felt like an eternity — sitting through classes has been a struggle. I couldn't be happier for the two of them and cannot wait to see where life takes them in the years to come. From your younger sister, I love you both more than you could imagine, and you inspire day in and day out and I thank you for that. Your love shines onto others, and lights up those around you!