Long Layovers: Half The Fun Is Getting There

The cast of Parks and Rec narrates the story of a 13-hour layover

10

In 2015 the 20-somethings are taking over the world of travel. We're the generation of wanderlusters, eager to be global citizens, to see all the sights and experience cultures all over the world. We've all suffered through the stress that results from making travel plans (or not, if you're the lazy friend who sits back while someone else does the dirty work). Travel can be expensive and extremely draining, but we're young, we're fun, we can do anything! It's all about the experience, right? In the wise words of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, "half the fun is getting there!"

Ha! The twins must have never sat in an airport for 13 hours.

MK & Ash, here's a little idea of how it goes.

Part I: Planning

Booking: The cheapest flight looks like it's got a 12-hour layover. Time to convince the rest of the group to hop on board.

Group discussion: Yeah, we can do this. Airports are fun. Not a problem.

Group decision: Flights are booked. No turning back.

Go time! Pre-airport departure: Success! Everyone agreed. Time to make a game plan. What are we gonna do?

Part II: Execution

Arrives at the airport

11:30 PM: Guys this is exciting! An empty airport at night. Let's get weird.

1:40 AM: The travel crew has already talked about every subject possible. If we didn't know each other well enough before hand, now we do, including what color underwear we're wearing and when the last time everyone picked their nose was.

2:00 AM: Did we ever eat dinner? *rumbling tummies* Hey, McDonalds is still open!

3:00 AM: After spending an hour eating 20 chicken nuggets as slowly as possible, boredom begins to set in.

3:15 AM: Spotted: a fancy-looking bar and lounge on the other side of the airport.

3:17 AM: A security guard asks for our boarding passes...that we don't have because we weren't able to check in early. We are unable to cross over into "VIP."

3:20 AM: Back to the cold, hard, seats to scroll through our social media newsfeeds for as long as possible. Starting to feel a little miserable.

3:40 AM: Trying to come up with ways to entertain ourselves. Watching other travelers suffer just as we are.

3:59 AM: Checks time

3:00AM: What? Huh? But it was just 3:59. Am I delirious?

3:02 AM: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IS TODAY?! OF COURSE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IS TODAY!

From the hours of3:03 AM to 5:00 AM sleeping is attempted in numerous locations: chairs, restaurant booths, areas of the floor, etc.

6:00 AM: Airport security approaches. "Excuse me, you must sit up. There is no sleeping in this airport."

6:05 AM: Airport security approaches again. "No really, there is no sleeping in this airport."

6:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Death is upon us.

10:15 AM: [Loudspeaker: Boarding for Flight 2607 will begin shortly]. WE ARE ON FLIGHT 2607!!!!

11:30 AM: If the people sitting next to me even THINK about speaking

Part III- Finale

Arrival at final destination
2:00 PM: Well, we did it.

2:01PM: Never. Again.