Best Live Performances - Mumford And Sons

“And my head told my heart "Let love grow" But my heart told my head "This time no, this time no”

99

I’ve been to show after show, from rap concerts to country concerts, from indie rock to folk, I love it all. I am my happiest at a live performance, there’s something therapeutic about seeing one of your favorite performers live, in a whole room of other people who love that performer as much as you. I’ve seen Mumford and Sons a few times, and each time my love for them grows.

I first saw them in Louisville, Kentucky for my “Sweet 16” birthday present. My parents had taken a few friends and I for the best birthday present ever. We saw them in an outside venue on the river, and it was magical. I loved every second of it (but to be honest I say this about every show). At this time they were my favorite band, and seeing them live sparked a love for music within me that I had never experienced before. Even listening to them as I type this article is making me smile ear to ear.

My love for this band soon rubbed off on my father, and before I knew it we were both singing their songs throughout our house. This love went on and never ended, and when the summer of 2015 came around and I heard they would be at Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival I needed to see them. A few friends of mine had brought up the idea of waiting for hours to be able to see them front row, and I quickly agreed I’d join. We waited in the blaring hot morning Tennessee sun until nighttime when Mumford took the stage. If someone told me I would be waiting in line for over 10 hours to see a band I would say they’re nuts and that I would hate that, but the people I was with while waiting made the experience even better. That day I found out just why Bonnaroo was so special, it’s the people. We sat shoulder to shoulder for hours, singing, eating, laughing and following each other on social media and I wouldn't change it for the world. Soon enough, we were finally allowed into the pit and we quickly filtered into first and second row. There was so excitement that we could feel electricity running through our bodies.

Finally they took the stage, and for 20 plus songs they did not disappoint. At one point they invited Ed Helms on stage to play banjo, which made the concert just that much more amazing. Mumford and Sons put on a show for hundreds, if not thousands, of people and still were able to make the experience personal and magical.

As a finale, they brought up multiple performers to sing the Beatles’ hit, “With a Little Help from My Friends.” Along side of Mumford and Sons, Dawes, My Morning Jacket, Hozier, The War On Drugs, Danny Clinch and once again Ed Helms, sang their hearts out and laughed the entire time. It. Was. Amazing.

Seeing one of my favorite bands that close is something that I’ll never be able to top. The show itself opened my eyes to the friendships that music can make, and proved to me that a band that made me fall in love with music in the first place, would always hold a place in my heart.