6 Reasons A Live Mascot Is The Best

6 Reasons A Live Mascot Is The Best

Nothing beats Drake University's newest bulldog mascot, Griff

54
6 Reasons A Live Mascot Is The Best

There is something very special about how a mascot can bring its school together. Mascots are there to pump up the crowd during the end of football games when they team needs extra encouragement, to welcome the first years at a pep really and even to just to walk around campus on parents' weekend.

However, the magic ends when the head of the costume comes off the student and he or she hangs the suit back up back in the locker it resides in. However, there is a way that this magic can never fade away. That way is the LIVE mascot. As a Drake Bulldog, we just had our newest live mascot revealed to the school on Thursday, Oct. 8th, and as a community we could not be more excited. Meet Griff, a three-year-old champion show bull dog, and most importantly our newest live mascot!

Griff comes to us after our last live mascot, Porterhouse, passed away in 2013. There was an unveiling ceremony for our newest member of the family and he even has his own twitter page! Go follow him here for bulldog madness. Mainly, Griff is bringing the Drake community together, one bark at a time. Without further ado, I present the top six reasons why going to a school with a live mascot is totally awesome.

1. They get the crowd excited about whatever sport is being played, and sometimes get a little too into it themselves.

Drake University's late Porterhouse runs after the basketball during a game to show his enthusiasm for the game.

2. Sometimes, the live mascot and the characterized mascot exist, to make the cutest pictures.Late Porterhouse with Drake's other mascot Spike, posing for a photo.

3. The crowd loves him, and loves to take selfies with him probably a little bit more than they should.

A Drake student takes a selfie with latest Drake Bulldog, Griff.

4. Eventually, they get tired and join the crowd.

Porterhouse lays on the bleachers to take a little break and watch the game.

5. The other teams cheerleaders even love the live mascots.

Porterhouse poses with the University of Iowa Hawkeyes cheerleaders.

6. In the long run, all that matters is that they make the student body happy. Drake President Marty Martin and Drake Student Body President Kevin Maisto pose with Griff.

Here's to many happy years with you Griff! Welcome to Drake's Bulldog family.