Listen Up!

Listen Up!

11 podcasts that will challenge your thoughts and lifestyle in 2017.

31
Listen Up!
The New Yorker

I would like to start off by saying that podcasts are not just for 80-year-old, cat-owning grandfathers, for if that were so, I would be extremely ahead of my time. With that being said, podcasts are being rapidly produced and I believe that they are an incredible way to learn about other peoples' opinions directly from the source. Here is a list of suggestions for all who are eagerly waiting to listen to something new, and some podcasts that I listen to on a daily basis (in no particular order):

1. See Something Say Something

Produced by Buzzfeed, Ahmed Ali Akbar invites new kinfolk each weak to drink tea and talk about being Muslim in the United States. Through these podcasts many stories are shared; some of which would not be told otherwise. I am overly thankful for this podcast and am so overjoyed that these perspectives are reaching so many people, for Ahmed brings such relevant, practical thoughts and voices to the table that are often looked down upon by so many people in the United States.

2. Pod Save America

Pod Save America is an informal talkshow put together by four former aides to President Obama — Jon Favreau, Dan Pfeiffer, Tommy Vietor, and Jon Lovett — in order to have an unfettered talk about politics. The group brings in other politicians, comedians, activists, and journalists to participate in the conversation that is aired several times a week.

3. Code Switch

Listen up to this one people! Whether some of you believe it or not, race STILL is an issue in today's society. Code switch talks a lot about "finding yourself in a conversation about race where you just get...stuck." The program's writers are made entirely of hard-working, journalists of color who care about the lives they lead. This "unflinchingly honest and empathetic" show will make you laugh and sometimes make you uncomfortable, but we all probably need some of that, right? (The answer is yes by the way).

4. College Info Geek

This one is for all of my fellow college friends! In this podcast, Thomas Frank talks about issues, ideas, studying, productivity, and much more. The goal is to improve the lives of students by giving them tactics to better conquer their school work through interviews, lessons from other scientists, experts on scholarships, doctors, and many other people who have "wicked cool jobs." If you are prone to procrastination, check this one out! (But don't let it interrupt your schoolwork).

5. RELEVANT Podcast

The Relevant podcast is hosted by some of the producers of the RELEVANT magazine. The podcast talks about issues that are relevant (see what I did there) to everyones' lives, and comes out every Friday. The show contains in-studio music performances and interviews from new people each week. Following, the program does a great job covering the topics of intentional living, faith, and the current culture.

6. Another Round

Here is the description taken directly from iTunes, "Heben Nigatu and Tracy Clayton cover everything from race, gender and pop culture to squirrels, mangoes, and bad jokes, all in one boozy show." Do what you wish with this information.

7. Revisionist History

Revisionist History is produced by Malcolm Gladwell and co-hosted by Panoply Media. This particular podcast will take you back in to places of history to show the listener how a particular event can be reinterpreted. The history events can range from historical ideas, to people and places. If you are looking to give history a "second-chance" definitely check this one out!

8. This American Life

Hosted by Ira Glass, this podcast is heard by over 2.2 million people on a weekly basis. After listening to this show I can wholeheartedly agree with the review that 'Murrrrrrry' recently posted on iTunes stating, "Oh sure, This American Life almost always begins with some rollicking, humors piece directly related to its theme. You’ll hear Ira interview someone to a backdrop of fun, upbeat or whimsical music….You can’t help but get sucked in. But know this, and know it well: Ira Glass is an insidious and manipulative genius. Sure you’ll start out the hour laughing (maybe harder than you’ve ever laughed at a public radio show) but inevitably and seamlessly, in a completely unconscious manner your emotions will be turned inside out and you’ll end the hour sobbing in your car, in the Target parking lot you’ve been parked in for the last 40 minutes. And sometimes you won’t even know why you’re crying, all you’ll know is that some sort of emotional release is needed before reintegrating yourself into the outside world. [They] take control of your emotional state with full reign to raise you to dizzying heights of euphoric happiness or plunge you down, down into unsettling depths of despair. So beware. The stories within have the ability cling to you for days, weeks, month, or even a lifetime." Amen to that one.

9. Can He Do That?

It is 2017, can a list really be a list without Donald Trump mentioned somewhere in there? I don't think so. From his family currently not living in the white house with him, to his complicated business monopoly in all areas of the world, this podcast focuses on different areas of the white house in which Trump defies the 'standard' way of living as a president and begs the question "Can He Do That?"

10. Hidden Brain

The Hidden Brain podcast is full of science and storytelling in order to help inquiring minds learn more about the world around them. Hosted by Shankar Vedantam, this show will help uncover social patterns in our society, human behavior, the triggers to our motives, and the science behind these aspects.

11. The Moth

If you are not already 'podcasted-out,' here is the last one on my list! After production began in 1997, the Moth is a podcast that holds millions of true stories told to live audiences. The storytellers on The Moth stand in front of a room full of strangers with the light on them in order to share a piece of their life. Bothe the listener and the storyteller go on adventures and learn a lot from each other respectively.