Overcoming The Challenges Life Throws At You

When Life Gets Tough, Remember this

It gets better, eventually. Trust me.

85

Chances are, you have heard the phrase, "When it rains, it pours." For some, this might mean that when one good thing happens, a bunch of good would happen. But for others, it means that one bad thing leads to a whole lot of other bad things. All the bad shit that could happen to you, did, and it has made for the hardest time of your life.

I wish I could tell you that it's easy to get through the bad shit. But to be honest, it isn't. If it was, we wouldn't be stronger from the things we went through. If it was easy, then it wouldn't be a challenge and it wouldn't feel like the the worst thing to ever happen to you. But I can tell you this — it does get better, eventually.

What might feel like the toughest part of your entire life will eventually pass. Eventually, the bad shit doesn't even affect you anymore. You start to realize that it does not surprise you anymore that this is happening to you. You might feel like the shit you are going through couldn't get worse, but it sometimes it will. And you know what? You will survive it.

For a while, it might feel like you are going through the five stages of grief in the middle of this semester:

Stage 1: Denial. You might say, "I didn't think that I would be the one to face all of these challenges."

Stage 2: Anger. You are probably pissed that you had to go through loss, losing friendships, struggling with school, issues at work, moving, health issues, roommate situations, etc. You are probably pissed that God is putting you through all of that at once and still expecting you to walk out of it all.

Stage 3: Bargaining. Chances are, you might have thought, "You know, I promise to be a better person if I can stop going through all this bullshit at once." But the bad stuff kept happening, so you move on to stage four.

Stage 4: Depression. This is by far the hardest part. You are going to cry. You are going to have breakdowns — and it might even be in the middle of the Target parking lot, late at night, when you truly feel like your world couldn't get any worse. That breakdown might be when someone simply steals your unassigned seat in your class and it just pushes you over the edge. It might be when you go to bed and realize that you are so burnt out that you don't have the energy to leave your bed. Trust me, it hurts like hell but you will get through it.

Stage 5: Acceptance. You are telling yourself, "I made it." You have accepted that, "Yeah, bad shit keeps happening to me and it sucks." But you know what? It eventually gets better. It has to. Right? If it didn't, this place would be one hell of a sad place. Accept that yeah it sucks that all this bad crap had to happen to you, but also remember to accept that it will get better.

Shortly after you hit acceptance, your luck will probably change. Finally, after what felt like the hardest time of your life, you start to see good things happening. But it wasn't until you went through all of the stuff you went through that you realize how much stronger you are.

You had to learn to cope with the things that you couldn't change. You had to learn to focus on what was ahead of you instead what was surrounding you. You had to learn that you needed to trust that God has a plan for you even when you couldn't see it. You had to learn that it is okay to not have it all figured out.

It's okay to feel like you have hit rock bottom, because once you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up. You had to learn that it is okay to not be like everyone else, because honestly, if we were all the same, this place would be boring as hell and you know it.

So trust me when I say this: it does get better. Yeah, it might not feel like it is going to get better, but it does. Life does get better. Everyone has to go through trials and triumphs to figure out who they are. Trust me, someday, this tough stage you went through is just going to be a sliver of the rest of your life.