Your Life Will Get Better After Graduation, From Someone Who's Been There

College seniors have a lot of mixed feelings about graduation. On one hand, they're ready to get out into the workforce and put their degree to use. On the other hand, it's sad to leave college life behind and scary to go out into the working world.

After being in the education grind for 16 years (not including preschool and kindergarten!), college students have dealt with a lot of stuff. Just think about all the hours spent in class, the number of papers written, the times spent studying for tests, all while trying to keep your life together. Being a student is not an easy thing.

When you graduate, all of that just...goes away.

When I walked across the stage at graduation, accepted my diploma, and shook the president's hand, I don't think it had sunk in that life as I knew it was officially over. After such a long time of doing the same thing, it can be startling transitioning to something else.

I guess I adjusted better than I thought I would. When I went back to my campus again to move in my sister, I was a bit surprised at what I felt.

I felt like I had "moved on," so to speak. While it was a bit nostalgic to be back on campus, I was relieved that it wasn't me. This feeling has persisted as I've heard my friends still in college complain about hard classes, balancing their schedules, and dealing with the stresses of being a college student.

By comparison, life after college is better. My experience doesn't speak for everyone, but I've found that my life has slowed down a lot. After my day at work, I can do whatever I want. I don't have to do any homework or study to get ready for tomorrow or worry about something at the end of the week.

That means I have time to watch movies. Cook a homemade dinner. Read a book. Take a walk. In other words, have quality time for me. All while working a fun job in my field.

If you're worried about what life will be like after graduation, you're not alone. But, it might not be as bad as you think – maybe it'll be better.