Lies Media Have Told About Being A Woman

Ain't nobody got time for that.

23

Don't get me wrong. I have always loved and appreciated a romantic movie or a film's love plot lines. However, for most of my life I have been exposed to representations of how women should act or how their lives should play out, and I can honestly say that within the real world I have never seen any of these actually happen. Film and television have started to improve and move in a more realistic direction, but many of the pieces of media we have been exposed to, well -- they just don't make sense.

1. Waking up.

One thing I don't understand: Why do women in film and TV always look so well rested? Like are you ever stressed? They could be dealing with trying to save the world and sleeping two hours, but no matter what, when she wakes up her hair looks perfect and her skin glows. I never remember to take off my makeup and wear a mouth guard. If anyone has any ideas how to some how transform this mess of a morning person into something incredibly sexy, let me know. I'm on the look out for a way to make my mouthguard scream, "What's her beauty secret?"

2. Showering.

The ultimate lie. TV and movies always take advantage of this normal activity and change it into soft porn. I'm just trying to to wash my body I have no time for shenanigans. I'll sing and occasionally dance around, but that's not even cute as it usually ends with soap in my eye, water in my mouth, or if I'm lucky, a fall to the shower floor.

3. Picking out an outfit.

The ability to wear the perfect outfit everyday and be like, "Oh, ya, I just threw this on," is something that no woman should ever think is realistic. Those outfits have been put together over days by multiple fashionable people that work for the movie. I'm lucky to get one good outfit day in a month. I usually stick to the sweatfit (sweatshirt and sweatpants, for those who don't know) combo. Extra points for groutfits.

4. The cute crying face.

Nothing cute about it, and also nothing subtle about it -- puffy eyes, red face, and weird, loud sounds that you don't understand how your body makes.

5. Walking in a group with your friends.

Women move in real time -- not in slow motion with their arms linked and hair blowing in the wind. My friends and I haven't mastered group walking yet, and this can be easily noticed by the fact we walk in a herd and usually step on each other. People don't turn their heads and stare, because all of us together is so powerful and overwhelming, it's usually because we are laughing extremely loud and talking over each other.

6. The elusive, "always free" best friend.

There is not that best friend who is always available to get coffee, or go to yoga, or talk about your never ending boy drama. They have things to do and people to see. They have their own lives, and they were not created just so you could have company.

7. No such thing as the cute klutz.

This usually ends in a bruise or a sprained ankle. Never have I fallen walking up the stairs and heard a boy say "that was adorable" or "wow, she's beautiful." They usually just cringe and pretend they didn't see it.

8. Taking one's glasses off, or putting one's hair down, and becoming a different person.

With the glasses or without the glasses you are still the same person. You have always had that face, and one small change isn't going to transform you into a different person. Oh, and you're perfect the way you are. Don't let people change you to make you their ideal of perfection.

9. It doesn't always end with him running back to you and declaring his love.

Love sucks. It's not always predictable and it's not perfect. Don't let TV and movies make you feel like you're doing something wrong.

10. We don't need saving.

No explanation necessary.