big fan of libraries

I'm A Big Fan Of Libraries and An Op-Ed Won't Change That

Libraries for the win!

38
https://www.meaction.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/20170509_Eng_Library_DJA_012_3.jpg

Recently an op-ed article about how libraries should be replaced by Amazon was published in Forbes and I have never been so up in arms about something. Regardless of the fact that Forbes did take down the article and gave something resembling an apology, I'm still upset that this thought is even out in the world. Giving up public libraries means more than maybe giving taxpayers back some money or whatever else that article argued. It means giving up safe places for people to be, free books, jobs, and access to other free or reduced resources, among other things.

Libraries have been a place of refuge for me for as long as I can remember. I have always loved reading and been a voracious reader. In fact, it's what I do for most of the summer. I check out as many books as I can carry and try to go at least once a week. I've checked out over 20 books this summer alone. Now, imagine that those books weren't free. If each book is $10 (and most are between $15-25), I would've spent $200 on books just this summer! I definitely do not have the resources for that. So what then? I just don't read?

But more than just free books, libraries are places people can come to take refuge, to better their lives, to be around people. For some people, getting the chance to use the free computers at the library is the only time they're able to use a computer. Replacing that with Amazon would completely take away that opportunity. For others, coming to the library is the chance to be around people and not home alone. Even if they don't talk to anyone there, the chance for socialization and taking in the outside world is there. Putting Amazon in place of that would force those people to constantly be by themselves. Other people come to the library as a chance to get away or research things they can't research anywhere else. Having those resources at your fingertips opens up the possibility for enrichment and learning. Again, you'd have to pay for that if Amazon took over.

There are plenty of other, better articles than mine out there about this, like this and this, but one thing is for sure: I will always stand up for public libraries over any corporation taking over. My library card is one of the best cards I own and I don't go many places without it. I have been able to read so many of my favorite books and gone on so many adventures thanks to my local library. So, thanks, kinda, Forbes, for taking that article down, but next time, I'd much prefer you didn't post that article at all.