LGBT YA Books That Should be Movies

9 LGBT YA Books That Should Be The Next Teen RomCom

Move over, "Love, Simon" and "To All the Boys I Loved Before!"

125

Teen romcoms are sort of having a moment right now.

Specifically, teen romcoms based on YA novels seem to be the ultimate winners. In fact, Love, Simon, based on Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, and To All the Boys I Loved Before, based on the beloved Jenny Han novel, have recently become fan favorites, and for good reason - they're adorable! There's a cute straight romance, an insanely adorable gay romance. . . but we need more!

Where's the bi representation? Lesbian? A WLW (women-loving-women) teen romcom is a MUST! What about asexual rep? Representation is SO important, and it's necessary for young people to be able to see themselves represented in popular love stories of all kinds without being objectified or stereotyped.

Luckily, Young Adult fiction is FULL of wonderful LGBT stories! And, since the other two were based on YA books, wouldn't it make sense to go back to YA for this one?

YES!

So, here are just a few suggestions for books that could potentially make great movies!

1. Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli.

Of course, had to start with one from the woman who gave us Simon!

Leah was my favorite character in Simon, so I was SO excited to hear she was getting her own book! And this one is just as cute as the first one!

LGBT+ Representation: Bisexuality

2. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour.

This is a beautifully written book that celebrates film as much as it does the romance aspect. And, while I think they're great in some stories, I also really love that the main protagonist is a fully developed character who just happens to like girls. It's not a big deal, it's just a part of who she is!

LGBT+ Representation: Lesbian

3. Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde.

Fandom! Fan Conventions! A WLW love story! Do you really need anything else??

LGBT+ Representation: Bisexuality

4. The Summer of Jordi Perez and the Best Burger in Los Angeles by Amy Spalding.

Not only does this one have great LGBT representation, but it also rocks the body positivity rep by featuring a plus-size protagonist!

LGBT+ Representation: Lesbian

5. You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan.

Seeing this get adapted to a film would be the ultimate sign of wlw and mlm solidarity! Also, when it comes to LGBT stories, David Levithan and Nina LaCour are the ultimate dream team authors!

LGBT+ Representation: Gay AND Lesbian!

6. Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann.

This might be my favorite book of the year! It's funny, adorable, and so, so sweet!

LGBT+ Representation: Biromantic Asexual

7.The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee.

A diverse historical romcom?! YES!!

LGBT+ Representation: Gay AND Bisexuality!

8. The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy.

You can't have The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue without its sequel!

LGBT+ Representation: Asexuality

9. What If It's Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli.

1. You can't go wrong with either of these authors when it comes to gay love stories, so you know it's going to be good

2. IT'S SO CUTE!! Seriously, I was smiling and giggling like an idiot while reading it!

LGBT+ Representation: Gay