A Letter To That Pretty College Town I've Always Wanted

Dear Pretty College Town That I've Always Wanted,

I have always admired you, ever since I was a child. I still do, and I'm imagining myself walking through your streets, admiring all the shops, restaurants, and attractions. I admire the way that you have so much life that thrives within you, and I can only imagine myself there. It would be great for photos, to have a cultural experience within all the diverse restaurants, to admire the pretty houses. I imagine myself being smart enough to actually attend a school like Northwestern, or Harvard, or Yale, but unfortunately, that will never happen, not even in my wildest dreams.

The college town I am a part of is not as big as you. There are barely any diverse food options, and it is very easy to get tired of the choices. It's full of pizza, burgers, and fast food chains. It lacks a Starbucks, Chipotle, and a Target. It's old, not too photogenic, and there is basically nothing to do. There aren't 20 million fraternities and sororities unlike larger campuses. It's not well known nationally. If you were to ask someone if they've heard of the name, they will most likely say no. The campus is small, there are no huge attractions, and the weather is bipolar because it's smack dab in the middle of the Midwest.

However, I could transfer, but I choose not too. Why, you ask? Because this small, cold, snowy, quiet town is perfect for me. Although this town is little, it is mighty to me in its own special way. It has a great program for my major, I've made many friends, I've met so many new people, I've moved out of my comfort zone, and I've made great memories and experienced some amazing things. A smaller school is a great fit for me, and frankly, I don't believe I could thrive at a larger, more popular campus like you. If this means that I will succeed within my time here at college, then it's worth it for me. It's completely necessary for me to stay here so I am able to graduate and score my dream job.

So, dream college town, I'm sorry that I'm not able to walk under your pretty autumn trees, through your exciting and wild downtown area, and by your historical buildings. What I have to do is stay somewhere that is right for me. And that is my own, small, unique college town.