A Letter To My Undergrad Self

A Letter To My Undergrad Self

It was a rough ride, but it was still great.

25
A Letter To My Undergrad Self
clipartfest.com

Holy cow. I just completed my last week of classes, ever. Which means it's finally here. My last final's week. Ever. Luckily I only have one actual final exam. Then I have one online exam and a few projects to turn in. And then I'm done. For good. I just can't believe how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday I was an awkward, anxious little freshman, or having my mid-college life crisis in sophomore year. But soon enough, I'll be putting that all behind me and walking across the stage to begin my next chapter.

First, though, I'd like to take a minute to reflect on my time here as I write a letter to my past self. Hopefully she reads it and has a little easier of a time.

Dear Undergrad Self,

We'll start off with you, freshman me. Wow, you're one nervous wreck aren't you? You're beyond excited to have moved away from home, but now you have to find where you belong in a new town. Listen, it's going to take a little bit to find your actual niche. The people you hang out with this year won't all be around next year, but that's okay. Appreciate the time you have with them now. Everything happens for a reason, but at least you're having fun, for the most part. Oh and maybe spend a little less time worrying about boys and a little more time focusing on math. I know, math's hard and that prof sucks, but it's the only C you'll ever get. Don't worry.

Okay sophomore me, you're next. See, I told you things were going to start getting better in terms of your friends. I want to give you a little advice, don't expect them all to be there next year either. But I think you know which ones aren't sticking around. And don't worry, it's not just you they leave either. But I can tell you that the friends that do stick around after this year will stick with you through senior year too.

I know you're having an existential crisis too. But just hang in there. Let things take their course. Remember how you loved writing in high school and wanted to go into journalism? Well, it'll be a bit of a long and bumpy road, but you'll finally get there. And trust me, when you do, you'll be so much happier and glad you didn't drop out of college or transfer.

By junior year, you have it all figured out. Finally. Well. Almost. You finally got your friend group down. You're in a major you love and you're getting a little more involved in a great organization in your department. You might work a little too much, but that'll end soon. By the end of the year you'll be out of that job, you'll have enough money for your off campus apartment and you'll end up getting a job with Eagle Media (and just wait to see how well that plays out in your favor. During the first month of senior year, you'll also get another wonderful job with the best boss you've ever had.

You'll see your friends a lot more in the fall of senior year. I know there'll feel like there's still something missing in your life, but please just enjoy having fun with your friends. Trust me, you'll meet the perfect person to fill that hole soon.

To any underclassmen that are reading this, just take my advice. Be patient, let life play out, and most importantly, have fun. You only get four years in college and they're going to fly by. Enjoy them while you can.